PDA

View Full Version : Changing Boyd's blind mag, to drop box mag

bighollander
03-11-2010, 09:21 PM
Does anyone have experience changing a Boyd's thumbhole stock with blind mag for a Savage 111 7mm Mag, to a drop box?
My current rifle has the drop box, and my new aftermarket stock has the blind mag. Does it just take some simple dremel work, filing, and drilling to get this to fit? Also I was thinking about adding a glass bedding for more structural support. Or should I just take it to a gunsmith? I could use any tips that you got, thanks.

rjtfroggy
03-11-2010, 10:52 PM
Unless you have good wood workimg skills I think I would find a good gunsmith to do it.Also unless your 7mm is a sporter barrel there is not a whole lot of material to open up the barrel channel on the thumbhole.

bighollander
03-13-2010, 02:16 PM
Thanks for the tips Froggy.

Would it be possible to convert the the dropbox on the action to work in the blind mag stock? That way I would not need to do the cut-out for the mag and just use the stock the way is was ment to be used.

rjtfroggy
03-13-2010, 02:22 PM
Yes, parts are available at Midway,look at the picture post"first attempt" the applejack(red?black) rifle was a dbm and I converted it to blind mag. It took about a half hour and $20-25.plus the stock.