PDA

View Full Version : Title of this forum

scpaul
02-12-2014, 09:04 PM
Today I Had the misfortune of having to deal W/Savage Factory Parts Dept. Now don't misunderstand;the people wern't bad,especially the lady in parts(lost her name in this pile/notes) I would call & after 15-20 min. on hold I had to hang up(this happened 3 times)due to the fact that I was on a cell phone(minutes run out eventually)The 4th time I got a recordingthat gave a parts 800#.Couldn't she have done that for me the 2nd or 3rd time ? I changed to the house phone armed w/said 800# then was on hold almost 30 min. Now I got to the very nice lady in parts, only to be informed that they are no longer restocking parts for 110 series (110,112,116, etc) mfg. '95 or before. Basically when they run out they arn't making any more. She & suggested Numirich,again no parts. Numrich helped by giving me " Jack's First Ind. " . They didn't have the exact part,but the nice healpful lady did every thing she could. She even got a set of calipers to take measurements until we found one that should work or need slight modification. SO now you need to retitle this forum to reflect centerfire rifles +-'95 and newer. Just a suggestion from a phone tired , frusterated PRE '95 Savage model 116FSS owner. Paul P.S. as accurate of a description as I can recollect,really!

Admin Edit: This was originally posted in the Savage 110-based Centerfire Rifles section.

J.Baker
02-13-2014, 12:14 AM
Well, lets see here....

1. Savage doesn't legally have to support any firearm made before November 1, 1995 because those were the ones made when the company was owned/controlled by someone else. That was part of the deal struck when Ron Coburn and his investment group purchased the company out of receivership in 1995.

2. Law only requires that the manufacturer make available replacement parts for the duration of the expressed warranty for the product. California has a civil law for certain products that require the manufacturer make available replacement parts for 3 or 7 years (dependent on product type and price) after the date of manufacture. Other states may as well, but after an extensive Google search that's the only one I could verify actually exists.

3. Many common wear/replacement parts from a newer (1995+) Savage will work just fine in an older gun, but because there have been so many small changes made to parts over the years there's no guarantee that any given part will fit any given Savage 110 that's been made in the last 55 years, thus their position on only offering parts for newer guns made under their stewardship of the company.

Savage uses the firearms serial number to ensure you get the right parts for your rifle based on when it was made. Lots of revisions to parts have been made over the years (including recent years), which is why they won't sell you a part for an older gun. Doing so would open them up to a liability suit if the part wasn't right for your firearm and it caused a failure or injury.

scpaul
02-17-2014, 12:16 AM
I need to make a slight correction Re: my original post. I actually was suggesting that the title for the Savage 110 based centerfire rifles be renamed. My overall frustration,what can I say? I screwed up and believe me it ain't the first time. Now that I'm more relaxed my suggestion is to sub-divide it to pre & post 95 model 110 based rifles, or seperate the sub-forums by using a pre & post 95 identifing feature. I have no idea as to what it would be,but it should be pretty obvious.(for newbys and converts from other brands,.etc) Paul