PDA

View Full Version : How necessary is it to modify/ change out the stock on an Axis?

jsmcobra201
02-12-2014, 01:24 PM
I'm seriously considering an Axis rifle in either .270 or .308. This rifle will mostly be used for hunting deer/ hogs here in Texas. I am not a hardcore hunter, but I do occasionally hunt a couple times a year. The main thing I like about the Axis is the price. I'm not wanting to get a ton of money tied up in a rifle that will be used a couple times a year. Truth be told, the Axis will likely be my secondary rifle. My primary rilfe will be my 40+ yr old Marlin 336 (was my father's rilfe and I can't stand the thought of leaving it behind in the gun cabnet). I do, on occasion, have the oportunity to hunt in places where a 200+ yrd shot is necessary and that ol' 30-30 just can't quite reach.

I know that the Axis has a solid track record of being a good shooter and has been very reliable from what I can tell. I do see that a lot of members here have really put some time and effort into some very creative modifications to the stock and trigger to make this gun better. While I can certianly respect and understand the joy of tinkering with something to make it better, personally I'd like to just open the box, mount some optics and head to the woods. I want to know how many of those modifications are really necessary for an Axis to be a solid performing hunting rifle. How many guys are hunting with an Axis in it's original un-modified stock? How is it working for you?

Personally, I see a trigger mod to reduce the weight down to 3-4 lbs is almost a requirement and I don't mind doing that modification, but how necessary is it to stiffen the stock or replace it if? Is the Axis stock out of the box adiquate to shoot from a deer stand or would it be best modify it or swap it out for one of the Boyd's stocks. I guess I am leery when I see folks here on this board referr to the stock as "Tupperware" and "Flex-o-Matic." It makes me think that it's just not up to the task without some tinkering. I'm not knocking the Axis, this is just the impression that comments from Axis owners have left me with.

If the modifications to the stock on the Axis aren't really necessary make it a straight shooter and put meat on the table, then the Axis really becomes even more appealing than it already is. I've held the Axis and felt the stock, but obviously that was only in the store and that only tells part of the story.

Sorry for such a long post (my first on the board), but I do appreciate any advice/ opinions. So fire away!

ejk24
02-12-2014, 03:15 PM
I own 2 Axis rifles ,one in 223 and one in 30/06 . I regularly shoot out to 200 yards with both and they are perfectly capable shooters with the factory stocks for hunting purposes . I have taken game with both and hit where I aim . I reinforced the forearm on the 223 with an aluminum rod and epoxy because I target shoot with it occasionally and it stiffened it up somewhat .I recently put the 223 into a Boyds stock with pillars and bedded it . My groups are a bit tighter on paper now . The biggest accuracy improvement I made was lightening the trigger pull with lighter springs and a little polishing on engaging surfaces . My Axis 30/06 is more accurate than my Remington 700 in 30/06 right out of the box before I lightened the trigger .If you plan on mounting a bipod then the Axis stock will definitely need reinforcing . I feel they are hard to beat at their price and you get the traditional Savage accuracy .The new Axis II will have the Accutrigger . Overall I am very satisfied for the small investment I have in them and do not worry about them getting scuffed up in the woods .

thomae
02-12-2014, 04:00 PM
+1. For the occasional hunter, I would suggest making the trigger a bit lighter and smoother, whether by one of the published modifications or by replacing the stock trigger with an accutrigger. The prices of used accutriggers have gone up in the past several years, so it might just be easier to purchase on with the accutrigger (Axis II) already installed and be done with it.

The stock is fine for hunting, walking around the woods, etc. and you won't cry when you scratch it. I've heard only one story of someone dropping it and breaking it at the wrist, and I think that is the exception, not the rule.

Swissfan
02-12-2014, 04:12 PM
I have an Axis in 308 and shot two deer this past fall with it in original form except for a lighter trigger spring. If your shots will be 200 yards or less, you should be okay, as long as you can do your part. I think you will be very pleased with the rifle if you do end up getting one, and you can "improve" it down the road if desired.

pisgah
02-12-2014, 05:55 PM
Trigger work on the Axis is easy to do, and pays off tremendously. It'll take maybe 15 minutes, and that long only if you are inept. Do it.

Stock modification will be a waste of time for 99.9% of shooters. For the rest of us the issue stock is fine. About the only people that need any stock change are those who use a bipod, and they only need reinforcement in the forend.

LoneWolf
02-13-2014, 09:29 AM
I agree I only rebuilt and restocked my Axis for the intent of shooting out to a grand. It required a heqvier stock in order to support a heavier barrel and be more comfortable to shoot from the prone. I think it would be perfectly fine as is for standard hunting even out to 200-300yds as long as you use a rest that you can keep closer to the trigger guard to avoid stock flex.

pisgah
02-13-2014, 01:36 PM
The stock is fine for hunting, walking around the woods, etc. and you won't cry when you scratch it. I've heard only one story of someone dropping it and breaking it at the wrist, and I think that is the exception, not the rule.

I have seen one photo of a stock broken at the wrist, and a claim it broke from being dropped. I was highly skeptical; I suspect it was more like getting run over by a pickup truck. If anyone thinks someone wouldn't do that to prove their point, you haven't spent enough time thinking critically about some of the "truths" expounded in these forums.

phantom_geo
02-16-2014, 02:43 PM
This is something I have wondered myself. While I will only ever use my Axis for hunting I decided to do my own upgrade.
Instead of putting steel or aluminum rods in the forearm I simply used a rotary tool to "rough up" and make some holes in what I would call the chambers and some into the recoil block. The holes were put in for the fiberglass resin to flow into.

I mixed up fiberglass resin and poured it into the chambers and let it cure. The resin never went above the dividers and never had to worry about the barrel no longer being free floating, although I did open up the barrel channel somewhat before starting.

Since doing this I noticed that it had no more than, but maybe less flex than my model 110 stock.

I think I am going to start on the butt stock, wrist next.

jpdown
02-16-2014, 03:22 PM
In 2014 Savage Arms is going to releasing an Axis II model with an Accutrigger. It is a utility hunting rifle with the out of the box potentail for 1" MOA or better accuracy without changing a thing. I would spend any additional money on a reliable 3-9x40 scope with no-hassle lifetime warranty verses a stock upgrade. Then if you ever decide to upgrade or change calibers/barrel/stock you have the ability and satisfaction of doing it yourself.

jsmcobra201
02-17-2014, 11:18 AM
Thanks for all the replies guys... Sounds like the stock out of the box is good enough for a hunting situation. If I do get the Axis then I will certianly replace the spring on the trigger or I may just wait for the Axis II to be released and start showing up on store shelves around here.

Phantom, I do have a question about your stock upgrade. What sort of resin did you use? I know some fiberglass resin gives off heat... lots of heat as it cures. Was this an issue for you?

phantom_geo
02-18-2014, 12:22 AM
jsmcobra201,
it did give off some heat as it was curing. I set it on the porch where it was a bit cooler. As the stock cooled down I took it inside and never saw a real issue with it. I am now putting fiberglass in the buttstock a little bit at a time to avoid a large amount of heat build up. So far put some resin soaked fiberglass cloth into the wrist and 3 inches of the stock. Helps make it stronger, and takes the cheap sound out of tapping on the stock. Hope to finish it this week.
This is going to be a hunting rifle and not a bench rest shooter. I figure my upgrade so far is about $15....

rsh4364
02-18-2014, 07:31 PM
fgw_in_fla did a nice reinforcement job on the axis stock,its in the stickys and looks pretty simple.I was gonna do it but got Boyds now.

phantom_geo
02-18-2014, 08:46 PM
I saw the one that fgw_in_fla did and it was very nice. Really good article. I did it my way just to keep from adding any extra weight. While using the resin does add weight it's not much. I was trying to keep it light to carry since it will be a hunting rifle.
I was pleased to see it is at least as strong as my model 110 now.

gumbo333
02-18-2014, 09:19 PM
If you have smallish hands/ fingers you may really like the axis stock. I sure do even if it is a bit flexy. It is plenty good for 99% of all hunting. Do the $1 trigger mods, polish it a bit and pull it about a hundred times you will have a very nice 2.75 lb trigger with no creep. Put that stock money in a better scope, you will be better served. The axis really grows on you. My three sure have.

thomae
02-19-2014, 08:28 AM
Here is a link to some of the details of the work I did on an Axis stock (Post 21 in the thread). Although it obviously added some weight, it was not significant and it certainly does not feel heavier.
I did the modifications simply because I like to tinker. I was not really planning to use this rifle for hunting, so I wanted to experiment.
http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?22754-Any-Way-to-Reduce-Excessive-Bolt-Lift-Effort/page3