PDA

View Full Version : How much of the action to bed

bushwackr
02-12-2014, 11:38 AM
This has probably been beat to death already but does it matter if I bed the first inch of my barrel after the lug. I did it on my last two rifles and I never seen any adverse affects. Is it a no no or no biggie, I was told to do it the first time I did a stock for myself. I used steel bed and devcon to bed my rifles

RP12
02-12-2014, 11:49 AM
Most people don't bed past the lug, because that way they don't have to re bed if or when they change barrels. If you want to bed farther up, go for it.

bushwackr
02-12-2014, 12:05 PM
Ok I was just making sure that I wasn't fighting against myself by loosing accuracy by doing so

Nor Cal Mikie
02-12-2014, 04:19 PM
I bed up to and including the nut. If it's a smooth nut you're good to go. If the nut has slots in it, I still bed the nut then after the bedding is set up hard, I'll go back and knock the high spots off from the slots and I'am ready to go. Gives you a smooth surface for the nut to rest on. The action is bedded from back to front so the nut is just cosmetic.

yobuck
02-12-2014, 04:57 PM
action bedding isnt even necessary so long as the gun shoots well. years back much more time was allocated to properly fitting the
metal action to the wood stock. it in itself was an art form lost today because of bedding materials being faster and easier.
ive seen barrels bedded the entire legnth and the gun shot well. what we think dosent matter. what works is what matters.
on longer barrel especially i like to go a few inches in front of the lug. its easy to sand out if necessary.