PDA

View Full Version : Striker build??

Nor Cal Mikie
03-11-2010, 11:32 AM
What about building from a left hand rifle action? That would eliminate the trigger problems of the Striker action and get rid of the linkage?
I got the straight skinny from Neal on those beautiful stocks he makes.
I'am thinking of building on a "older" left hand rifle action. That would keep the inital cost down. And to add to the cost, ( ???) what about making the rifle action "single shot" by having a plate welded into the action for a solid bottom. (It's only money!!) ;D

Don - LongRangeSupply
03-11-2010, 01:36 PM
Unless you want to register it with the ATF as an NFA SBR (short barreled rifle) you cannot turn a rifle into a pistol (Barrel shorter than 16")

What you can do is buy a new action that was never made into a rifle, making sure that nobody logs it in our out as a rifle anywhere between Savage and your FFL dealer. Have them log it out as a pistol then you are good to go.

You can turn a pistol into a rifle later if you want and back to a handgun etc. as long as the barrel length and shoulder stock regs are followed and nobody logs it in our out as a rifle, but the same is not true of a rifle action. Once a rifle, always a rifle.

pdog06
03-11-2010, 01:52 PM
Heres just what you need Mikie. Great deal on a unfired 30br setup on an undesignated target action, in a Neal Cooper stock..

http://specialtypistols.infopop.cc/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=9066056864&f=7946077864&m=856102825&r=371103925#371103925

Nor Cal Mikie
03-11-2010, 04:29 PM
If you build off a "rifle" action and use a 16" barrel (with or without a brake) you should be good to go?? Not sure "how legal" it would be but I don't think anyone would ask quastions. Other than "can I shoot it". ;)

EFBell
03-11-2010, 05:29 PM
If it is a rifle action it better have a stock on it. If someone does ask questions your in deep do-do. Suppose someone steals it and the cops recover it?

Nor Cal Mikie
03-11-2010, 05:31 PM
Point well taken. ;)

EFBell
03-11-2010, 06:39 PM
Murphy's law ya know!

358Hammer
03-11-2010, 06:57 PM
Simply put! If it is a rifle- now and forever it is a rifle. If that rifle action is ever found in a handgun stock then it is a Federal crime.

Jim @ Northland Shooters Supply sells
1. Rifle actions
2. Undesignated or never having been designated actions.
3. If you purchase a undesignated action, when you fill out the Pretty Yellow Federal Form you then have the choice of designating that action.
4. If you designate that action as a handgun shoot it as a handgun and then decide to put a rifle stock on it, then and forever more it is a rifle technically. In a handgun the barrel length is not relevant as it is in a rifle. The barrel can be 36" long.

Example: I had an XP, sent it to a smith friend 25 years ago to be made into a competition 6BR rifle.
He warned me that I could not ever legally convert it back. When the project was complete I had to sign the new yellow form designating the handgun serial number to a rifle.

Jim and I teamed up some years ago in regards to getting undesignated actions. I personally spoke with the head of BATF. A lot of information or pieces of information have been floating around that just isn't true. There is NO form or No amount of money that can be used or paid to EVER make a rifle into a handgun.
Since one can buy an action either way, seems that if one wants a handgun then one should just go with an undesignated. They cost the same.

Neal

Nor Cal Mikie
03-11-2010, 08:58 PM
All of you guys have got so much information between you that you should get together and write a book. I'll take the "first" signed copy. ;D That would make it real easy for us "uneducated" folks to get some smarts. ;)
And the only problem with buying a rig that someone else has already put together, you've lost the "fun part" of building it yourself. Even tho you'll probably end up spending more $$ in the long run, you can say "I did it". But at least you did it the way you want it. :)

Blue Avenger
03-16-2010, 11:29 AM
been gone for a bit and just found these threads. the new clip feed action is also available as a bare action.
4473 forms have 3 options on then, long gun, handgun & frame.

strikers in rear grip stocks have the same trigger options as rifles. screw spacings vary for striker, target and rifle actions so the stock maker needs to know what spacing you have. Neal made the stock and can send you pictures of what he has available. One of my actions is also timed and trued with an SSS trigger.:)

Nor Cal Mikie
03-16-2010, 02:21 PM
I'am still leaning towards a left hand rifle action. Left bolt, left eject. Be nice if it came as a single shot but I don't think that will happen. Me being right handed, I'll keep the stock in my right hand while I open the bolt with my left. Been the XP route so a left side bolt and eject might be nice.
Got one bench rest stock on the way and I need to get that worked out before I jump into the Striker build. Kinda getting all my ducks in a row before I get too carried away. And "yes" you can have too many things going on at the same time and it''ll jump up and get you. A slow steady pace makes everything work out real nice. ;D

tinkerer
03-16-2010, 04:12 PM
Mikie,

You can get a left handed action from NSS. Go to the vendor classifieds and call them for availability.

Larry
Tinkerer

358Hammer
03-16-2010, 06:24 PM
Jim actually just sold a left bolt left eject action, He still has a left bolt right eject (like the Striker) in stock. Well under the target action price and way,WAY under the left handed custom shop Target Action price.

Neal

Nor Cal Mikie
07-11-2010, 08:31 AM
I used a CF SS left hand rifle Accu Trigger action. Left the mag out and added a single shot adaptor. Works slick! ;D