PDA

View Full Version : Axis 7mm-08/New Shooter

Rosco
02-12-2014, 12:52 AM
Today, I took the plunge and purchased my first ever bolt action rifle the Axis SS 7mm-08. Although poorly packaged from Buds and/or Savage the rifle and associated parts were in good working order and the all the documentation was present. Next, unpacked the rifle, read the user manual,checked the safety, inserted the bolt, and examined the stock, bolts,barrel, trigger etc... no problems!!

But before I begin asking questions, here is the disclaimer. I am very new at all this, in fact, never shot a bolt action rifle in my life. So if some of the questions come across as pretty ignorant, I would appreciate a pass on my first post. :cool:

That being said, here is going to be the rig set-up.

-Axis 7mm-08
-EGW 0 MOA Rail
-SWFA SS 10x with rings
-str8laced Rear bag
-Harris Swivel Bi-pod
-Tab Gear Sling
-Triad Stock Pad/Cheek Rest

For the most part, I will be shooting at Knob Creek an outdoor 330 yd range close to my home, and initially I will only be using to punch paper and steel targets.

So a few questions...

1.) Do you see anything that I need to add to the list? (Don't say ammo!!lol)

2.) Can someone suggest a barrel break-in method?

3.) Does it matter what type of ammo I use during break-in? I bought Hornady SST 139gr, but could you use something less expensive or would that cause an issue?

4.) Cleaning, which works best on Axis models..bore snakes, nylon or copper brushes, which solvents etc... Also, how often should I be cleaning after barrel break-in. I am assuming the rifle needs to achieve an equilibrium of copper/powder fouling to ensure proper accuracy over longer distances.

5.) How many shots, on average, can you push though your barrel before you need to let it cool down?

I have many more questions, but this seems to be a good start so it is not overwhelming. Thanks everyone in advance for your assistance it is greatly appreciated.

RP12
02-12-2014, 08:28 AM
Barrel break in. Initial cleaning, shot it, clean it again when accuracy falls off. Yes you can use cheaper ammo with out a problem, probably won't be as accurate though. I never use bronze brushes, but that's just me. A good nitro solvent is good for general cleaning. Copper solvent only when you see your accuracy flop. Do not over clean. Use a bore guide. DON'T OVER HEAT IT ! If you can comfortably hold the barrel with your bare hand, you should still be ok.

Rosco
02-12-2014, 10:11 AM
Thanks for the feedback!! How many rounds can I put down this barrel before you think it will overheat? 10? 15?

RP12
02-12-2014, 10:17 AM
I would go no more than 5, then let it cool down a bit. If you can hold onto the barrel without burning your hand your probably still ok. Heat kills barrels faster.

n4ue
02-12-2014, 02:09 PM
Today, I took the plunge and purchased my first ever bolt action rifle the Axis SS 7mm-08. Although poorly packaged from Buds and/or Savage the rifle and associated parts were in good working order and the all the documentation was present. Next, unpacked the rifle, read the user manual,checked the safety, inserted the bolt, and examined the stock, bolts,barrel, trigger etc... no problems!!

But before I begin asking questions, here is the disclaimer. I am very new at all this, in fact, never shot a bolt action rifle in my life. So if some of the questions come across as pretty ignorant, I would appreciate a pass on my first post. :cool:

That being said, here is going to be the rig set-up.

-Axis 7mm-08
-EGW 0 MOA Rail
-SWFA SS 10x with rings
-str8laced Rear bag
-Harris Swivel Bi-pod
-Tab Gear Sling
-Triad Stock Pad/Cheek Rest

For the most part, I will be shooting at Knob Creek an outdoor 330 yd range close to my home, and initially I will only be using to punch paper and steel targets.

So a few questions...

1.) Do you see anything that I need to add to the list? (Don't say ammo!!lol)

2.) Can someone suggest a barrel break-in method?

3.) Does it matter what type of ammo I use during break-in? I bought Hornady SST 139gr, but could you use something less expensive or would that cause an issue?

4.) Cleaning, which works best on Axis models..bore snakes, nylon or copper brushes, which solvents etc... Also, how often should I be cleaning after barrel break-in. I am assuming the rifle needs to achieve an equilibrium of copper/powder fouling to ensure proper accuracy over longer distances.

5.) How many shots, on average, can you push though your barrel before you need to let it cool down?

I have many more questions, but this seems to be a good start so it is not overwhelming. Thanks everyone in advance for your assistance it is greatly appreciated.

Hi. You will love your Axis. I have a bunch and one is a 7-08. You will like it more, if you add weight to the stock and do a 'trigger job' (if you are OK with simple tools). I just posted a comment on triggers, in another thread in this forum.
As far as break-in.....go to 6mmbr.com and search for info. All the top barrel makers were questioned on this subject. The 'opinions', vary from "none", to "clean after every shot". You decide. ha ha
However, almost all bbl makes say they have seen more bbls ruined by improper cleaning than being shot out. The suggestion about holding the bbl to sense heat is great. I single load all my rifles and this takes time for the bbl to cool (as well as walking to the target).

I use nothing but HBN coated bullets (and bores) and I have never seen any fouling in ANY of my bbls......

ron

Rosco
02-12-2014, 03:27 PM
Hey n4ue.. thanks for the suggestions..will go take a look and see if I determine which will be the best break-in procedure. After that maybe even figure out a cleaning regime that won't totally destroy my barrel. :thumb:

I am planning to tinker and do some modifications such a stock reinforcement, trigger mods, free floating the barrel. hand loads etc.. but was going to wait for a few months till I got a handle on "Learning to shoot" . Like I said, I am a complete neophyte with this stuff and would probably blow a finger off or something.

n4ue
02-12-2014, 09:28 PM
Rosco, you'll be OK. The bbl is already free floated, so cross that off your list.
My 7-08 loves 110 gr Speer TNT Varmint bullets as well as 139 gr Hornady Spire points. I have a large quantity of the Hornady 139 gr and 154 gr Spire points. I used to shoot a lot of IHMSA with a Remington XP-100 rechambered from 7 BR to 7-08. Needless to say, it was overkill and probably contributed to severe joint problems in my right wrist! ha ha

So, I bought a couple of 7-08 rifles in 7-08, since I had a large stock of brass, bullets, powder, dies, etc. None of my 7-08s has ever fired a factory load. FWIW.
I have targets of the Axis results hanging in my reloading room. Both loads shot 3 rounds into the ragged same hole. Just lucky, I guess. I'd post he pix here, but haven't because people wouldn't believe them, anyway. Yes, at 100 yards. I have put some $ into Rem Model 700s and Ruger heavy bbl models and the Savage Axis will shoot just as well. Just don't plan on a lot of rapid fire, but then, a 7-08 would NOT be fun in a prairie dog town!
PM me, and I'll be glad to send you the pix and load data......

ron

thermaler
02-13-2014, 10:06 AM
Great rig--besides the easy home mods I would recommend bumping your SWFA up to at least 12x ( I have one but will buy only 16x from now on since it's relatively parallax free even in to the closer ranges I shoot a rifle at) since that caliber is a good intermediate range shooter.

Rosco
02-13-2014, 11:22 AM
Why yes it is, that's good to know. Last night, tested with a piece of paper and was able to slide it back and forth down the barrel without issue!! So one less thing to tinker with.

Rapid fire isn't going to be my focus and I figured the Axis was primarily designed for entry level hunting and wasn't engineered for this.
And yes, learning about the tip and tricks for improving the 7-08 would be great thanks!! I will send a PM later..

Rosco
02-13-2014, 01:09 PM
I had considered a higher magnification SWFA Scope, but on SnipersHide a member had a great deal with Rings, Level, Butler Caps, and 10x scope for well under 400 dollars, so I picked it up. Plus, if I find out I really enjoy this as a hobby, more than likely I will end up investing in an Bushnell, Steiner, Vortex variable scopes and go ahead an drop the 2000 grand or so.