PDA

View Full Version : Axis XP scope swap?

SThomas3791
02-11-2014, 10:02 PM
i'm looking to swap my bushnell scope that came with my axis xp .308 combo with a bushnell banner 3-9x40or trophy xlt 3-9x40. does anyone know if the original base/rings will work or do i need to supply new ones? also i could decide to get a vortex crossfire ii 3-9x40 instead of either bushnell if the wind blows in the right direction the day i drop the money. same question pertains to the vortex, will the factory base/rings work? any info would be much appreciated :frusty:

foxx
02-11-2014, 10:20 PM
Those two scopes should be able to use the same base and ring configuration because they both have 1" rings and same size objective lense housing (40mm).

If you go to larger objective scope, s.a. 50mm, you will likely need higher mounts than whatever you have now.

The Vortex scope may have 30mm tube. If so, you will need 30mm rings.

Basically, you first must consider the tube size (1" or 30mm), size of objective lense (to determine low, medium or high mount rings). It is generally considered preferable to mount the scope as low or close to barrel as possible without touching it.

Different ring types require different bases. But it is safe to say if you have rings that currently work with your bases, the scope you choose will not change that. The rings either fit the base or they don't.

SThomas3791
02-11-2014, 10:50 PM
very cool! yea i just looked at the vortex's specs from their website and the one im looking to get has a 1" tube so it looks as though i will be good to go! thanks so much! any thoughts on the comparison of the 3 scopes? i know the banner is the lowest of the 3 models and will probably handle all of the workload i need it to but will that $25-$40 price jump for the trophy xlt or vortex make that big of a difference? basically using this rifle as my primary deer/bear rifle in northwestern pa with less than 100 yard shots being the norm.

foxx
02-11-2014, 10:58 PM
I am not familiar with those particular scopes, but you may have better luck in your quest for opinions if you go to "optics and mounts".

SThomas3791
02-11-2014, 10:59 PM
will do, thanks again

txag67
02-12-2014, 01:12 PM
I replaced the Bushnell on my Axis 223 with a Vortex Diamondback. I wound up replacing the rings and mounts as the Vortex is a bit shorter than the package scope, and the eye-piece is larger, causing interference with the bolt handle. The mounts will need to be longer so the rings can be place closer together, and the rings will need to be a fuzz higher. Of course, the Crossfire may have different dimensions.

LHitchcox
02-17-2014, 03:34 PM
I do not like the factory rings at all. Consider buying a pair of Weaver Quad Lok rings at Walmart for about $11.