PDA

View Full Version : .223 Hog Hunter Irons shooting WAY high at lowest position?

Hobbez
02-11-2014, 11:49 AM
Hey All,

I've been searching the web for an answer to this but haven't found anything so I'm wondering if it's just me...

I picked up the Hog Huner 11 in .223 because I wanted a .223 with open sights in the $500 range and it fit the bill. Problem is, I went to sight it in at 50 yards and even with the rear blade at it's lowest setting I'm hitting a good 5 inches high with 55 grain bullets. I can make this work with a 6 o'clock hold but I would much prefer to be shooting a dead hold. Am I missing something here or should I look into a lower rear blade? My secondary concern is that if a new blade is too low, the comb height of the stock will make it difficult to aim because of the tall front post. I don't understand why savage would be shipping a gun with sights that don't make sense and am hoping that someone here might be able to help me figure this one out.

Thanks in advance!

LoneWolf
02-11-2014, 12:44 PM
Is the front blade adjustable?

boostless
02-11-2014, 12:53 PM
The front blade isn't adjustable on mine so I would assume it would be the same on his. Are you sure your aligning the sights correctly? I haven't shot mine yet so I can't comment if mine shoots the same.

the Ranger
02-11-2014, 02:42 PM
I would look at putting a taller front sight on rather than a lower rear. like you said, the lower rear could be difficult get aligned on.

JCalhoun
02-11-2014, 02:47 PM
It was also a problem with the one I reviewed.

J.Baker
02-11-2014, 02:54 PM
Probably going to have to get a taller front sight blade. IIRC Savage uses Williams sights.

JCalhoun
02-11-2014, 04:09 PM
Correct. The 11HH I had used Williams sights.

I had thought about doing a flip up rear sight on a Picatinny scope rail but traded it before I could look into that.

Hobbez
02-11-2014, 05:13 PM
I suppose you could push it left or right for windage but there is no up/down adjustment on the front post which is already stinking high as it is...

I picked up a new rear blade today to try out that's about 3/16" high and as guessed, it's way too low to get a good picture. If I am correct in measuring the stock blade at 1/2", I believe something in the neighborhood of 1/4" or 5/16" might do the trick.

There's stuff on midwayusa but I'm in Canada... anyone know of a good site that deals in williams parts up here?

Hobbez
02-11-2014, 05:18 PM
The front blade isn't adjustable on mine so I would assume it would be the same on his. Are you sure your aligning the sights correctly? I haven't shot mine yet so I can't comment if mine shoots the same.

Pretty sure - the front post goes in the "U" notch...

Hobbez
02-11-2014, 05:19 PM
I would look at putting a taller front sight on rather than a lower rear. like you said, the lower rear could be difficult get aligned on.

I'll keep this in mind as a last resort... it's already pretty stinkin high...

Hobbez
02-11-2014, 05:20 PM
Correct. The 11HH I had used Williams sights.

I had thought about doing a flip up rear sight on a Picatinny scope rail but traded it before I could look into that.

Not a bad idea, but I am putting quick release scope mounts on. I like to hunt with glass and cut paper with iron.

claysshotgunner
02-11-2014, 08:24 PM
Problem is, I went to sight it in at 50 yards and even with the rear blade at it's lowest setting I'm hitting a good 5 inches high with 55 grain bullets. I can make this work with a 6 o'clock hold but I would much prefer to be shooting a dead hold.
!

So, you are wanting a dead on hold at 50 Yards? I did not look at any trajectory charts, but that seems a little close to zero dead on.

LoneWolf
02-11-2014, 08:40 PM
So, you are wanting a dead on hold at 50 Yards? I did not look at any trajectory charts, but that seems a little close to zero dead on.

Well he did say it was shooting about 6" high at 50. I would be ok with about 2" high at 100 for a zero with irons. If we have Irons on military 223 rifles we do a BZO(Battle Sight Zero) at 36yds which equates to about 300yds based on the arch the bullet travels.

I wouldn't be happy with 6" high at 50 either.

Hobbez
02-11-2014, 10:48 PM
Well he did say it was shooting about 6" high at 50. I would be ok with about 2" high at 100 for a zero with irons. If we have Irons on military 223 rifles we do a BZO(Battle Sight Zero) at 36yds which equates to about 300yds based on the arch the bullet travels.

I wouldn't be happy with 6" high at 50 either.

After checking my ballistics, I should really be aiming to sight in at 30 yards for a 200 yard zero. Seems to be the flattest trajectory for a max of 300 yards. None the less, it seems that the sights are the issue. I'm going to try and find a shorter rear blade from a local gunsmith tomorrow... wish me luck!

JCalhoun
02-12-2014, 01:27 PM
I never could the factory installed sight to hit center at 50 or 100 yards and they were not even in the ballpark.

Hobbez
02-12-2014, 05:43 PM
I never could the factory installed sight to hit center at 50 or 100 yards and they were not even in the ballpark.

Seeing as I'm not the only one, I wonder if a call to Savage might yield some results (or perhaps a new rear blade!). After thinking some more, I'm wondering if the sights are meant for the heavier .308 bullets but weren't tested for light .223 loads...