PDA

View Full Version : Rings and rings and more rings...

mazda3gun
02-11-2014, 11:19 AM
This possibly should be in 'Help Me Decide', or could potentially end up moved to there. Anywho....

I've got a 110 .30-06, with a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 BDC, a Weaver one-piece base, and too low of rings. I've tried every kind of re-position config imaginable(moving the scope, diff rings, contemplated trimming the base) but it all comes back to needing taller rings which I don't have. The obj bell hits the end of the base and the ocular is only a hair, literally, from contacting the rear of it.
What's currently attempting to be used are Millett Angle-Loc 1" rings, they're just too stinkin low!:frusty:

I'm considering the Weaver 6-screw Tactical rings, Weaver Grand Slams, Burris Solid Steel CZ Style rings, Burris Zee Signature rings, and anything 1" Med. Height and matte black around $50.

What I need are 1", Med height, matte black rings that won't make me feel like I've spent too much money.

thomae
02-11-2014, 01:56 PM
Have you read this?
http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?30048-Help-in-answering-the-question-quot-What-Height-Scope-Ring-should-I-use-quot

mazda3gun
02-11-2014, 02:11 PM
Yes I have, thanks thomae.

BUT, I don't have all those numbers available at the moment, since I'm at work, to plug into the calculator.

barrel-nut
02-11-2014, 05:00 PM
Skip the Weaver six-screws, and check out these:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1548810257/burris-1-xtreme-tactical-picatinny-style-rings-matte

The crossbolt on the Burris rings is much stronger than the Weaver's. I have several sets of these and love em.

mazda3gun
02-11-2014, 06:02 PM
Thanks barrel-nut! Those may be just the ticket.

Anything to get my scope off the rail so I don't throw away $200...

barrel-nut
02-12-2014, 10:15 AM
FWIW, I've had to lop a little off the front end of a rail before in order to make a 50mm scope sit where I wanted it to. Also ground a small U-shaped notch in the forward-most end of the rail top to make a little more clearance. It's almost unnoticeable once the scope is mounted. I would think that if you go with the XTR's, you'd be okay with the lows if you are mounting a 40 mm scope.

mazda3gun
02-12-2014, 11:14 AM
The ocular is still too close, even if I trimmed the objective end which is where the real issue is. I can take a picture of each end and you'll see what I'm working with.

I'd rather be safe than sorry. This is what I get for wanting a rail with options lol.

As for difference between height of rings, there's roughly a 1/4" difference between the low and medium heights I've looked at. That won't throw off cheek weld too bad and can be addressed with a pad under my riser.

AZ_GUN_NUT
02-12-2014, 11:23 AM
I run a set of Burris Zee medium height rings on my Rem 700, Weaver rail and a 50mm obj scope with Butler Flip caps. Works perfectly for me.

mazda3gun
02-12-2014, 11:36 AM
Right.

With what I plugged into the ring calculator thomae linked, I need at least 0.9" of ring height(from the center of the scope to the top of the base mount) to get 0.86mm of clearance, that's with the mount+bbl taper set at 0. I need to get a more precise measurement of that to see if low rings can possibly work at a 0.75" height.

Then again, I can just take it the gun shop and make them do all the work:eyebrows: and get a bore sight while I'm at it. Wish I had a micrometer...

AZ_GUN_NUT
02-12-2014, 11:41 AM
Well you've got three choices, run with the low rings you currently have which as you stated aren't doing the job for you, get a set of medium rings, or get a taller rail to compensate for the low rings.

You won't notice the difference going with medium rings as far as cheek weld and actually might find it more comfortable.

mazda3gun
02-12-2014, 05:23 PM
A taller rail wouldn't work...the scope is touching the rail as is. I guess you meant shorter.

Regardless, looks like some taller rings are in order.

mazda3gun
02-14-2014, 10:57 AM
Scored some Burris Zee Mediums and they worked great!

Along with about $100 in ammo too! All in all, a good day at the lgs. Had 22 on hand as well. $4.99 for 50, but they had it!

AZ_GUN_NUT
02-14-2014, 11:54 AM
Scored some Burris Zee Mediums and they worked great!

Along with about $100 in ammo too! All in all, a good day at the lgs. Had 22 on hand as well. $4.99 for 50, but they had it!

:third: