PDA

View Full Version : Rimfire stevens peerless/ savage 5 problems

blackhorse
02-10-2014, 07:00 PM
I got a problem with a savage model 5 or a stevens peerless, I think its a model 5. when the bolt is pulled back the firing pin stays out and keeps the next shell from moving into place. if only one shell is in the mag tube it will move up through the cartrage lifter and to the bolt, when the bolt is moved forward the cartrage is a little low and misses the chamber. because the firing pin is out and stops it from moving into correct possision. when the bolt is drawn back the gun jams because ith cartrage will not release. took it apart and cleaned and oiled it. looks like it was worked on before.

Any ideas of eplanations on how it is suposed to work would be very much apreiciated.

Mad Dog
02-10-2014, 07:51 PM
I'm no good to you but if you wait around till Gene checks in I'm pretty sure he can help, he's the rimfire wizard.

blackhorse
02-10-2014, 09:19 PM
I'm no good to you but if you wait around till Gene checks in I'm pretty sure he can help, he's the rimfire wizard.

thanks for checking in

Sav22
02-12-2014, 07:28 PM
I looked for pictures and the only examples of a Steven's Peerless bolt action repeater I could find were based on a Steven's Model 66 and not a Savage Model 5. If the magazine tube moves with the bolt it's a Steven's 66 action - and I do not have an example to look at - from your description of what's happening it sounds like it might be a Model 5 action - either way I think the firing pin should retract for loading, in fact it almost has to in a 66 action because the cartridges are pushed straight up the front of the bolt face.

No matter which action it might be check to see if the firing pin can be easily pushed flush with the bolt face and will stay there with the bolt open. If it does that, then you might have a broken or missing firing pin return spring, or the firing pin could be broken so the nose of it does not get pulled back.

blackhorse
02-23-2014, 09:14 PM
OK, thanks. I guess it is a 66. The firing pin is stuck out and stops cartridge from moving up but it doesn't retract to easily.

Well i guess i have a starting point, thanks for the help

Walt

Sav22
02-23-2014, 11:07 PM
Walt - here is a video of how to take one of these apart, the gun shown is actually a No 65 and not a No 66 but the instructions will still work, the lifters are different but the bolts are the same - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3q-QZLESiA