PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun Help Identify Age/Value of Stevens 311E Double Barrel 20ga

nolimits76
02-10-2014, 02:12 AM
Recently my grandfather gave me a Stevens 311E double barrel 20 gauge shotgun from his collection. The sentimental value of the gun outweighs any dollar figure I could assign to it. Plus I just like it. I plan to hold onto it. Still, I am curious the age and value.

Overall condition is very good. There is some slight marring of the wood stock where the break over lever action is located.

I understand the markings on the barrel where it breaks open is key to identifying year of manufacture. One barrel appears to have a circle with a W in it. The other barrel has a circle with an 18W or 19W; it's hard for me to tell for certain. Serial is either A398*** or A388*** as the bottom part of that second digit isn't readable to me.

Any help is much appreciated.

Mad Dog
02-10-2014, 09:24 AM
Strange, the date codes say 1969 yet the serial number is saying 1970, either way it's real close.

Value, maybe $350-$400 on your description.

nolimits76
02-10-2014, 11:19 AM
Thanks Mad Dog!

The entire serial looks lightly pressed so it's tough to read. But I feel reasonably confident in all but the second number. I see a loop which I presumed was part of an 8 or 9, but it might have been a 6 too. I will look again tonight when I get home.

Would a serial of A368*** make better sense with the markings on the barrel?

If it helps, the barrel isn't very long. Maybe 8" or so past the wood stock. I haven't put a tape to it to verify exact length yet.

Were these 69/70 models fairly common or unique?

Mad Dog
02-10-2014, 01:48 PM
Fairly common, it's the old Ansley Fox shotguns that were worth the big dollars.

Your shotgun should have a 28" bbl.