PDA

View Full Version : more questions on the Accu-stock

the Ranger
02-09-2014, 03:39 PM
i noticed that the recoil lug and it's slot in the accu-stock measure only .180" on my new 116, no one seems to offer an aftermarket precision lug in that size. is a new lug just a waste of time and $ with the accu-stock system?

i will be changing the barrel on this rifle. I also noticed that the accu-stock style lugs don't seem to have the alignment tab that corresponds to the slot in the receiver. when I have the lug off, if I were to reuse the old one, I could drill it and add a pin or small cap head screw for alignment. or is the orientation of the lug just not that critical with this system?

the barrel nut seems to be nearly the same size as the reciever. is there any concern that the nut may be in contact with the bedding rail? I could slightly relieve the rail ahead of the lug slot to be sure.

am I just overly concerned and none of this realy matters with the accu-stock?

foxx
02-09-2014, 07:37 PM
If I was replacing the barrel, I would go ahead and replace the lug with an SSS squared and true lug and also a squared and trued barrel nut. Those are better because they are trued. If the slot in the aluminum rail is not wide enough for the new lug, grind it away on the muzzle side so it fits, but keep the breech side of the slot original. Treat it just like you would if you had bed it. (Keep the muzzle side and sides of the lug and bottom off the "bedding", or in this case, the rail). Also, keep the nut free.

thomae
02-09-2014, 09:59 PM
SSS does not manufacture a recoil lug for the accustock.
The Accustock lug is narrower and has parallel sides. Here are pictures from midwayusa.com:
Here is the accustock recoil lug:

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/Primary/819/819939.jpg

Conventional recoil lug:
http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/Primary/820/820231.jpg

When I put a Stevens 200 into an accustock, I removed the barrel and replaced the conventional lug with the accustock lug. My recollection is that I made some index marks with a fine sharpie so I got it close to aligned, and it went right into the accustock with no issues.

the Ranger
02-09-2014, 10:27 PM
so, one for reuse the original lug, and one for modifying the stock to accept an aftermarket lug.

Foxx, in your opinion I should clearance the forward end of the slot in the rail so the lug does not touch that side? because right now my lug and the slot both measure right on .180", it's a snug fit with no for and aft play between stock and action with the bolts out, this almost seems ideal. just checking.

I will add a trued barrel nut, I will not reuse the factory smooth nut.

foxx
02-09-2014, 10:46 PM
Well, I replaced my Accustock... So I can't say I have done what I suggested. I know the SSS lug will not fit in the rail of the accustock, without modifying the rail. I just would want to apply the same reasoning in regards to the accustock as any stock if you were bedding it.

I have reservations about the validity of the concept of the accustock as far as it being compressed and wedged in between the frames, etc. Before I replaced the Accustock, I ground the side rails down quite a bit and bedded the action with JB Weld. I saw some improvement, but I don't know if it was due to load development or my bedding job. However, while just messing around one day I had a 15 shot group that measured .576 with a 25-06. I could not get that much consistency before then.

That was with original lug and nut.

foxx
02-09-2014, 10:58 PM
Now that I think about it, you don't want to replace the Accustock lug b/c you want to keep the aluminum rail solid beneath the lug... THomae's photo demonstrates this. If you ground-out the rail to allow the SSS lug, you'd weaken or maybe cut the rail-thru and destroy one of its biggest virtues: it's stiffness.

the Ranger
02-09-2014, 11:36 PM
right, so, we don't want to cut the slot any deeper, makes perfect sense. what then, about cutting down a lug to fit the stock.

foxx
02-09-2014, 11:47 PM
right, so, we don't want to cut the slot any deeper, makes perfect sense. what then, about cutting down a lug to fit the stock.

ahh... I don't know... Never heard of it, for sure. if you do, don't throw away the original! From what I've read and experienced, you can't do much to improve the Accustock beyond what it is. If I were to do it all over again, I would have kept it "as is" and either used it or sold it. Now that I've altered it, I doubt anyone wants it, even though it worked out for me. The Accustock is a decent stock. Very good for deer hunting, in my opinion, just doesn't lend itself well to modifying.

Jetpig
02-10-2014, 10:05 AM
At the direction of Jim (Northland) I milled my accustock to fit the new lug with no ill effects at all. First I milled the aftermarket lug so the height was the same as factory then milled the forward part of the slot in the stock wider to accomodate the wider aftermarket lug. Just do not mill the aft lug-wall since this is the specific point of contact of the lug. Works great.

the Ranger
02-10-2014, 10:25 AM
I knew someone had to have tried this before. "no ill effect" really doesn't inspire me however. if I'm going to start cutting on my new stock I'd like to be reasonably sure it has a benefit.

RP12
02-10-2014, 12:22 PM
Why would they not put an index pin on the Accu-stock lug ?

Jetpig
02-10-2014, 12:57 PM
I knew someone had to have tried this before. "no ill effect" really doesn't inspire me however. if I'm going to start cutting on my new stock I'd like to be reasonably sure it has a benefit.

It is obviously a gain over the stock lug in stiffness and strength with the additional metal of the aftermarket lug. By "no ill effects" I mean it didn't affect the rigidity, stiffness or strength of the stock. If you are looking for vast improvements in accuracy by changing out the recoil lug, I would re-think.

foxx
02-10-2014, 01:16 PM
It is obviously a gain over the stock lug in stiffness and strength with the additional metal of the aftermarket lug. By "no ill effects" I mean it didn't affect the rigidity, stiffness or strength of the stock. If you are looking for vast improvements in accuracy by changing out the recoil lug, I would re-think.

Sounds promising to me, Ranger.

It definitely sounds easier and more productive than what I did; ( bedding the action and not replacing the nut and lug). Also, it sounds like you can reverse it, because the only part of the rail that needs to touch anything is the aft side, regardless of which lug is used. I cannot believe you'd want to reverse it, though.

the Ranger
02-10-2014, 02:20 PM

gottcha, so would you guys go for what seems to be the standard .200" lug or something larger, .250", .300"? I'm changing out the barrel anyway so want to upgrade, and a new lug is not much$.

it's going to be a .264Win mag, shouldn't have too terrible of recoil and will be basically a heavy sporter with a McGowen barrel.

foxx
02-10-2014, 03:33 PM
NSS recoil lug and nut. Large shank. I don't think they make different thicknesses, but I would use whatever he makes. You'll know they are both machined and trued well.

Correction: Use whatever shank your ACTION requires. Be sure to order a barrel with whatever shank the action requires, as well. You have no choice in that.

the Ranger
02-11-2014, 01:46 AM
yeah, I need a small(standard) shank lug. the NSS lug measures .244", that's all they offer so I guess it's good.

ddalvarez
06-22-2014, 01:50 PM
At the direction of Jim (Northland) I milled my accustock to fit the new lug with no ill effects at all. First I milled the aftermarket lug so the height was the same as factory then milled the forward part of the slot in the stock wider to accomodate the wider aftermarket lug. Just do not mill the aft lug-wall since this is the specific point of contact of the lug. Works great.

Typical response--modify the other guys stuff to eliminate liability. All we need is a recoil lug designed for the accustock with the index slot to center the recoil lug. It seems an aftermarket recoil lug mfg should be able to make that for us.

I like the accustock and don't want to bugger it up, but centering the recoil lug is difficult. I am going to try and order another accustock recoil lug and and drill and tap it and fit with somthing to index it to the reciever. I have searched a little for a replacement lug with no luck. I read somewhere that savage will only ship them to a FFL-- is this true?

foxx
06-22-2014, 07:32 PM
DD, I do not understand your complaint with Jim's suggestion to modify his lug and/or stock to fit the Accustock. If there was more demand for aftermarket Accustock recoil lugs, he would make them for you. I am sure he would also be willing to do the work for you, at a cost.

If Savage will not send you a part because you are not a gunsmith, suggest sending them a release letter releasing them from any liability for its use. But I don't think they have concerns with the lug.

ddalvarez
06-23-2014, 01:53 PM
My response was part frustration, part my own general philosophy. I support Jims business whenever I can, and am glad he supports the site and the Savage aftermarket. I just think Savage invested a lot of resources designing and engineering the Accustock, and modifying it to fit a piece of metal like a recoil lug just sticks in my craw. Of course we are all free to modify our firearms to suite its purpose I just choose to go another direction. Like others, I may ended up getting a new stock to use with the competition recoil lugs ( wich I like) and keep using the factory recoil lugs with the Accustock. I do plan on getting a hold a few factory Accustock recoil lugs and modifying them by adding the indexing notch, but for now ,a few marks with a grease pencil and some shims is the best I can come up with.

I also wanted to thank everyone for taking the time to respond to inquiries and questions. It is a huge benefit to me and others in the gun community