PDA

View Full Version : 26 Nosler

sha-ul
02-09-2014, 11:42 AM
At this years shot show, Nosler announced a new cartridge, a 6.5 MM based upon the 404 Jeffery case, which is the parent case for the WSM,WSSM, and RUM, and 375 Ruger.
They are advertising Muzzle velocity of 3400 fps with a 129 grain Long range Accu-Bond. With more retained velocity& energy @400 yards than a 30.06 has at the muzzle.
When zeroed at 350 yards, it has a pint blank aim on a deer sized target from 0 to 415 yards with only 5" of drop@ 415.
I'm toying with the notion of building one.
#1, since this cartridge is about the same OAL as a 30.06, It will need to be a long action.
#2 most of the WSM are built on a large shank action
#3 were any large shank actions made on the long action platform?
#4 Can you have a standard long action opened up& re-threaded for a large shank barrel?

I'm not planning on building this month, or next, It may just be a pipe dream for now, But hey, we can have fun with that too.

http://www.26nosler.com/

scope eye
02-09-2014, 12:02 PM
There are a couple of threads going on this new caliber, it does Look like an awesome round.

Dean

sha-ul
02-09-2014, 12:33 PM
There are a couple of threads going on this new caliber, it does Look like an awesome round.

Dean

There was a thread in aftermarket barrels that devolved into a b!tchfest about Nosler's BC computations

scope eye
02-09-2014, 12:51 PM
There was a thread in aftermarket barrels that devolved into a b!tchfest about Nosler's BC computations

I can't argue with you there, you do have a valid point.LOL

Dean

Patch700
02-09-2014, 01:29 PM
One thing you won't have to worry about with that round is what powder to use as you'll be relegated to one lol...

I think for the hunter who either doesn't know how or doesn't want to learn ballistics in the field and use them to his advantage then this might be an ok solution out to 400 yds... I've had a 6.5x300 wthby and truth be told unless you get into 31"+ barrel lengths you're beating your head against the wall... The case holds over 90 grains of water , you wont be using H-1000 to get the claimed velocities lol.

D.ID
02-09-2014, 02:07 PM
I think folks that can not be troubled to learn ballistics should not bother to learn distance or try to cover it with a bullet.
Like MOST nosler products this is clearly targeted at people that do not know any better.
The first things that come to mind #1 BARREL BURNER #2 Nosler would know if they bothered to research there bc, velocity is temporary but BC is eternal.
Typical nosler approach, Not the best or most efficient and definitely one of the most expensive but.......Good enough for hunting, as long as hunting means point blank free hand at something running for its life.
They are getting better but as I am sure you probably detected, me and nosler are in separate play-books to begin with.

jonsrm125k5
02-21-2014, 08:17 PM
Why didnt they go down to 80 something grains, and use a 160? knock the piss out of 800 yards...