PDA

View Full Version : 22 LR and 22 mag

Monkeymaster
02-08-2014, 07:54 PM
Hello,
Well they keep telling us they are working around the clock to manufacture more 22 LR and 22 mag.
However, here in Eastern Iowa, it seems the only thing ever in stock is 17 hmr or 22 birdshot, and once in awhile, we see Ely 22 LR target loads at $14.00 per 50.
So, somewhere in the world of shooting, hunting forums, there has to be someone who actually works for, or works in a plant that produces the 22 LR and or 22 mag and can actually verify the ramp up of production ?
Or, there should be some delivery people, ie UPS and or Fed Ex, that can say, yeah I have been hauling semi loads of 22 LR to so and so distributing or to store "x".
In my opinion, I think rimfire has taken a back seat to the centerfire handgun and rifle production.
Again that is my opinion, but until someone other than the president of ammunition maker "x" "y" or "z" verify's it, I will be a sceptic.
Thanks in advance.

limige
02-08-2014, 10:38 PM
I'm with you. Only thing I've seen really come back is pistol ammo. 22 ammo and powder are still scarce.

bootsmcguire
02-09-2014, 10:10 PM
Here in Southeastern Iowa most of the shelves here are starting to get Centerfire Pistol and Rifle ammo on a regular basis and 17 HMR and 17 WSM is showing up, but 22 WMR has been gone for months and 22LR trickles through. I did manage to score a box of 40gr Aguila 22LR's yesterday at my LGS, last box out of the 1 brick he managed to get it.

Monkeymaster
02-10-2014, 07:08 PM
No one from Winchester, Federal, Remington, or CCI a Savage Shooter member ?
Same with UPS and FED EX, no one A Savage Shooter member ?

snowgetter1
02-10-2014, 08:08 PM
I would think if someone on here is an employee of one of the mentioned companies they would not speak about production capabilities and issues. Posting statements about the issues on a forum, without approval, would probably result in the loss of your job.

Monkeymaster
02-13-2014, 09:07 PM
Well, I don't think that is what is happening here.
I can not belive that Billy Bob has not said I have shipped, 20 pallets of "bricks" a week, to so and so for the last 10 years, and now I am hauling 40 pallets a week.
If that were the case, or if these companies have picked production up sooooooooooo much in the 22 LR and 22 Mag, someone, somewhere would have posted it on some site.
In my opinion, I still think rimfire has stayed at the same production level, where centerfire has been ramped up.
Lets all ask ourselves, do they make more coin on a box of 50 centerfire handgun or a box of 50 22 LR ?
We ALL know the answer to that one.
Anyone have a brother in law, of an uncle from your grandmas side.........
That works for an ammunition company who makes 22 LR or 22 mag ?

n4ue
02-15-2014, 03:16 PM
There are some 'interesting' postings on u-tube about this tired old subject.
Evidently, some Wal Mart employees were cherry picking the ammo. They were also stashing it and calling their buddies. Honestly, I have enough and I am NOT a horder, I always bought some years ago, just because the wife and I shot IHMSA rimfire. It is my (not so) humble opinion, that the hoarders are making things worse. I have over heard several guys saying they had 30K and 70K rounds.
Was at the lgs this AM picking up a new .22 rifle. He had plenty of .17 HMR, .17 WSM. .22 Short, .17 H2. He DID have .22 LR in the 'back' and gave me a 50 rd box for the new gun. The only ammo he said that is tough to get is, .22 Mag.

FWIW

ron

J.Baker
02-15-2014, 06:13 PM
Well, I don't think that is what is happening here.
I can not belive that Billy Bob has not said I have shipped, 20 pallets of "bricks" a week, to so and so for the last 10 years, and now I am hauling 40 pallets a week.
If that were the case, or if these companies have picked production up sooooooooooo much in the 22 LR and 22 Mag, someone, somewhere would have posted it on some site.
In my opinion, I still think rimfire has stayed at the same production level, where centerfire has been ramped up.
Lets all ask ourselves, do they make more coin on a box of 50 centerfire handgun or a box of 50 22 LR ?
We ALL know the answer to that one.
Anyone have a brother in law, of an uncle from your grandmas side.........
That works for an ammunition company who makes 22 LR or 22 mag ?

Yep, you're right...it's all one big conspiracy by the ammunition manufacturers. :rolleyes:

TC260
02-15-2014, 06:47 PM
A few months ago I thought the 22 shortage was probably nearing the end because all the super high priced 22 ammo was just sitting and people weren't buying. This morning at the same show it was completely different. All the gouging-priced 22 ammo was selling quick. As long as dealers can easily sell ammo for 2.5x the normal retail price it ain't no surprise why the shelves of retailers are always empty.

Monkeymaster
02-16-2014, 09:14 PM
Never mentioned conspiracy !
Hording yes !
Still, SOMEONE PROVE, see again PROVE they are MAKEING or SHIPPING more !
So far, all I have to go bye is them telling me.
No "layman" has confirmed it.
When they do, great, I am either WRONG, or I am right ?
Really do not care, I just want someone to CONFIRM it one way or another.
Pretty simple request really.
If I were xyz ammo maker, I would have "guns TV or whatever" come buy and show them.
See 2x's as much production of 22 LR.
Or
See 2x's more truck loads of 22LR ect.
ANYONE ?

justinp61
02-17-2014, 08:28 PM
I don't think 22 rim fire ammo is high on the ammo manufacturers priorities.

Shoots2little
02-18-2014, 09:45 AM
It isn't like they change a facility over to make rimfire. They are dedicated plants with all the machinery to make rimfire cartridges only, most likely. It isn't like the same set of machines are used to pump out .22lr as 9mm or any other centerfire cartridge. Where as it would seem that with more minor type adjustments another plant could do 9mm one week and 45acp the next. They can either invest in more production capacity (not likely) or max out their running time with more shifts/employees, if they hadn't already. This all assuming they can get the components in huge volumes. I am having a hard time finding 1lb of powder that I want, can't imagine trying to get a 55gallon drum or whatever they wholesale it in.

I think there really has been an explosion of new shooters. I see it at all the local ranges. Lots more families out together shooting. The handgun/rimfire area of one outdoor range always has a waiting list to get a spot. That wasn't the case even 3 years ago. Rimfire is less threatening to people in general so that probably doesn't help either. It almost has a 'toy' status to some (don't lump me in there).

I hope things return to 'normal' soon. I hate paying the $25-27 a brick when I can can get it. No way am I paying $45-$70 like the scalpers around here are charging and getting.

emtrescue6
02-18-2014, 12:42 PM
I just got an alert from Natchez that they received a shipment of CCI Blazers...this should be a good sign.

Werewolf
02-18-2014, 12:56 PM
I looked at that... It was all CCI Blazer pistol ammo

emtrescue6
02-18-2014, 12:57 PM
Figures....

n4ue
02-19-2014, 02:29 PM
Got a flyer from "Cheaper than Dirt". Had some .22lr on the cover and ordered some.

Color me surprised....

ron

Monkeymaster
03-01-2014, 07:34 PM
Really?
No one hauls 22 LR?
No one works for a company that makes 22 LR ?
No one has family for either also ?
Bummer!

jhazelwood
03-02-2014, 06:38 PM
Rimfire and center fire are not made on the same machinery so they should not affect the others production.

Monkeymaster
03-05-2014, 08:56 PM
I give up !