PDA

View Full Version : Savage Axis 30-06 Bolt Travel

phantom_geo
02-08-2014, 07:51 PM
Right before deer season began here in PA I decided to buy a Savage Axis 30-06 because it was at a great price. I put a scope on it, shot it in and got it ready to go hunting.
I took it out hunting and noticed something I have never noticed on any of my other bolt action rifles. While I was carrying it the bolt caught on my jacket pocket and lifted the bolt up. I noticed it and pushed the bolt back down. Later on I was looking at the bolt and it seems to lift very easy. None of my other Savage rifles opens that easy or I should say lifts that easy, the bolt isn't opening.

Anyone else ever notice that with their Axis? Not sure if I should be concerned or not....

http://i436.photobucket.com/albums/qq83/phantom_geo/th_100_4665_zpsa51ca65a.jpg (http://i436.photobucket.com/albums/qq83/phantom_geo/100_4665_zpsa51ca65a.mp4)

FW Conch
02-08-2014, 08:15 PM
A lot of Savage owners pay money to make that happen!

phantom_geo
02-08-2014, 08:19 PM
Hmmm... I was looking a Stevens that I have in reference and I should have realized the Stevens has a 3 position safety which locks the bolt. Guess there is where I am noticing the difference....?

J.Baker
02-10-2014, 01:00 AM
That would be because it's already cocked. The stiffness of lifting the bolt is because that's when the firing pin is retracted and recocked as well. Since you hadn't fired the rifle it was still cocked and thus the resistance of the FP spring doesn't have to be overcome.

shoalwater
02-10-2014, 02:03 PM
That would be because it's already cocked. The stiffness of lifting the bolt is because that's when the firing pin is retracted and recocked as well. Since you hadn't fired the rifle it was still cocked and thus the resistance of the FP spring doesn't have to be overcome.

What he said ^^^^^^

sharpshooter
02-11-2014, 12:12 AM
What you are experiencing is the result of your rifle having the original 1 piece spring. The firing pin spring has a tail that retains the cocking piece pin, thus making the whole spring rotate when cocked. The sharp edge on the end of the spring will dig into the bolt assembly screw when the bolt is turned down, essentually "unwinding' it. This wants to lift the bolt in resistance.
The fix is to either get the 3 piece upgraded spring from Savage, or you can polish the end of the spring and grease it.