PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: swapping barrels on a 93?

bbassi
03-10-2010, 04:02 PM
is this possible? Reason I'm asking is I'm a lefty, looking for a 22 mag, and well, options are typically slim. Is there any way to get bull barrel on a 93 lefty short of custom ordering it?

Sailormilan2
03-11-2010, 12:47 AM
Well, I don't know how well equiped you are, but here is a possibility. I read on one forum that you can fit a Ruger 22/77 barrel to a Savage receiver. It requires moving the shoulder on the barrel back. Apparently on his receiver, the Savage barrel shank was longer than the shank on the Ruger 77/22.
The hardest part was getting the Savage barrel out of the receiver. A very tight fit.
His finished project looked very nice. A fluted Stainless Steel barrel on a blued receiver.
Just a thought.

ghostdog662
03-11-2010, 11:52 AM
I bought a barrel off a new Mark 2 but I want to have it shortened to 17" , ensure headspace is perfect and get the barrel threaded as well.

I already pressed my old barrel out of my receiver. The small cross pin came out much easier than I would have expected, all I needed was a small punch.

I have a 12 ton press from AK building and it made short work of these barrels. It was indeed very very tight and it did POP like you find on AK barrels. If anybody has worked on Bulgarian kits or rusted Romanian kits you will know how jammed stuck they seem. I would definitely invest in some sort of penetrating oil and let it soak in there for at least an hour.

If you do not have access to a press you could always get a brass rod or wood dowel (1/2" diameter) and punch the barrel out. It would take you forever but it would work. The brass rod may hose your chamber but if you are dumping that barrel anyways who cares.

I am having this place do my work to this barrel.
http://www.aquilafirearms.com/

Give Chris a call. He actually answers the phone when you call and if he is working on something at that moment he does call you right back. You cannot get more straight up than that. Just give him a call and he'll make it happen.