PDA

View Full Version : 11 VT Shoots Off Bore-Line - (NOT SCOPE MOUNTS)

Pages : 1 [2]

tbarnby
02-27-2014, 11:47 AM
The gun has been at Savage being repaired since the 18th. None of the local ranges would allow a tracer even if I had it. :)

Maybe you should shoot some tracers to see this curve ball effect?

FW Conch
02-27-2014, 12:04 PM
"pinsnscrews", in your case, I would consider the BSA scope "the first indication of trouble" ????....;-((

tbarnby
02-27-2014, 12:08 PM
Well, here's my take: If your reticule is aligned with your bore through whatever means, the Windage should be very close, depending on wind, spin drift, or Coriolis Effect on LONG North/South shots (nothing to speak of on 200 yard shots). If the POI does not closely match the bore-line (windage wise) you have a problem.

Your action to stock issue (barrel touching the stock) is not likely causing this issue. That issue would most likely manifest in big groups, because the barrel harmonics would not be consistent...basically you'd be adding an unstable node on the barrel that would alter the final antinode shot to shot which would open up the groups. You wouldn't likely get a sub-MOA if that was your problem.

Scope alignment issues with the mis-drilled actions do NOT and CANNOT cause your POI to be different from the POA of the rifle bore.

I sent mine back to have Savage repair it. This is a quality issue with some of their barrels. I'm running out tomorrow to buy a new rifle, to replace this one, because Savage is backed up 6-7 weeks on warranty repair. When this one gets back, I'll install a Shilen barrel and be done with it.

I believe that yours is the fourth time I've seen "this issue" on a forum in the last few months on Savage barrels. They must have had a bad run, because they are usually very good shooters.

Interesting.

I just took my 111 LRH in 6.5-284 out for its first shooting.

I have a muzzle bore sight that uses a barrel sized pin to hold the mirror in place at the crown end. I didn't have enough elevation to bring the scope down to line up on center, but I was able to line it up left to right. Took the rifle to the range. Set the target at 50 yards. Loaded the rifle into a lead sled. Pulled the bolt, and confirmed that bore lined up to the target with the scope. Scope was reading a little low at 50 yards from where the muzzle sight lined it up. For spits and giggles, I put the bore sight back in, same thing, now the elevation is showing above the targeting grid. Pull and recheck very carefully. Bore through the bolt matches the view through the scope.

Load a single round. Pull the trigger and...nothing. Dial up the scope magnification and spot the lone hole in the target backer and a foot to the right.

Dial in some windage. Load another round, line it all up...still nothing. Dial magnification back up. Hole in the backer 6 inches to the right of the edge of the target.

Dial in the last of the windage available to the scope. To be safe, I lined the scope up on the left edge of a 12" shoot and see target with sighting grid. Load a round. An inch right of center. Load another round. Just above the last round. The next 3 rounds make a 1 inch group.

Scrub the bore. Run a couple of patches.

Take two of the 12 inch targets. Line up dead center on the matching edges of the two targets. Next 5 rounds go into a 3/4" group.

Put an orange sticker over the group, and move the target out to 100 yards.

Line up dead between the two targets again. First shot hits 3 inches to the right of the center of the right target.

Line the scope up one dot to the right on the reticle. Next 4 shots print a half inch group.

Clean the barrel again. I have cleaned it now between each 5 shot group.

Sight in again. Still get same point of impact, but the group shrank to just under a half inch.

The muzzle bore sight shows the reticle is way to the right of the target grid.

Scope rail is a Blackhawk standard picatinni rail. Since my shooting at the moment is limited to 200 yards, my scope is adjustable to 250 yards (BSA 1-16x44 IR with adjustable parallax to 250yrds) on my .308 it is perfect with a clean sight picture at 200. And I can see the spots on the shoot n see when I hit at 200.

My thoughts:

Bad rings? But why do they work perfect on the .308 they were taken off of.

Rail not cut right? Possible, could be aligning to the left a degree or two.

Holes in the receiver not aligned to the bore? Possible, off to the left a few degrees.

Barrel not aligned with the receiver? Possible off to the right a couple of degrees.

I did notice after I got back home! the stock is rubbing just a touch on the barrel right at the tip of the forearm on the left side. That might be pushing the barrel to the right. I didn't notice it when I tore the action down for cleaning after unboxing. When it was reassembled, a business card would slide from tip to receiver with only a couple of tight spots. Not enought to stop the business card, but enough to make it drag. I checked the action screws at the range and all were still tight. I plan on taking it apart, re-assembling and again checking for tight spots. Once I mark them, I will pull the assembly, and sand the channel until there are no tight spots.

I read through the tightening sequence Thomae posted for the accustock. Used an inch pound torque wrench for tightening. Not a fat wrench, but it was accurate +\- 1inlb a couple of months ago when Snap On checked it for me.

What have I left out?

I am posting here rather than starting a new thread since they seem to read as similar problems.

tbarnby
02-27-2014, 12:12 PM
He mentioned that the bore sight shows the bore pointing to the target, and the bullet striking far to the right. Not a scope, or mount issue. This exact issue has been discussed multiple times lately.

"pinsnscrews", in your case, I would consider the BSA scope "the first indication of trouble" ????....;-((

FW Conch
02-27-2014, 03:00 PM
10/4.......;-)

tbarnby
03-06-2014, 10:57 AM
I thought I'd provide a quick update. I called Savage today and was informed that the Gunsmith had replaced the barrel and stock. The rifle was bore sighted, and roll-stamped???(I don't know what that means) and was on the range today to be tested. Anyway, I look forward to the end of this weird issue.