PDA

View Full Version : best scope for 300 Win mag

wildcat hunter
02-08-2014, 04:31 PM
I am thinking of a new scope for my 300 Win mag. Looked at Leupold, Bushnell. I am leaning toward the Bushnell 6500, its got all I want 30mm tube 50mm lens, mildot, variable power. Has anybody had experance with one. I read 1 review on them and the writer liked it, but thats only an article. I do not want a broken scope just when I need it most. Currently I have a 12x Leupold on my 116 Savage 300 Win mag but its standard crosshair and a 40mm lens.

Rick_W
02-08-2014, 11:29 PM
What will you be using the rifle for?

wildcat hunter
02-09-2014, 06:14 PM
I think my reply got wiped out. Anyway I plan on an elk hunt and want everything to go right. A once in a lifetime hunt for me and a lot of money into it so I want the best equipment to assure at least a good chance of getting an elk ( if I.m lucky in a drawing! ).

7stwluvr
02-10-2014, 01:16 AM
I shoot a couple 3.5-10x44 zeiss conquests both with z600 reticles one on a kimber 300 win mag and the other on a 338 rum work great excellent light transmission and hold zero outstanding. The 44mm obj is an excellent compromise between 40 and 50 mm for me still able to mount in low rings yet gathers more light than a 40. Took my elk a few years ago at 397yds just fine. Good luck in the draw also !

2footroper
03-28-2014, 09:33 PM
I just picked up a nice 111 LRH in 300 mag. Accu stock and Accu trigger. I have been doing alot of research and I'm going with the Burris Eliminator 3. It's 4-16 X 50 with the built in range finder. I read a few reviews and can't find anything bad about it. I am also going out to Colorado this fall for elk and this is going to be my rig. One review I read was compairing the range finder accuracy with a Leica 1600 side by side and the Burris performed flawlessly. It actually out performed it when it was raining where the Burris would range and the Lieca would not. Everyone seems to be afraid if electronics in the scope failing but even if it does the scope will still work as just a scope. I will be putting alot of 180 Nosler accubond rounds down the tube to be sure this scope is going to hold up. I just have to get a little more $$ saved up to pull the trigger on this thing.

CharlieNC
03-29-2014, 10:01 AM
I use a Natchez Refurbished Nikon Buckmaster 4-12x50 on my Tikka 300WM, and have taken two elk with shots at 300-400 yd with it. The elevation turret was replaced with the Nikon "tactical target" version which is decent and easily adjustable in the field. For rapid ranging I apply a strip of white stick-on label on the turret and mark it accordingly based on elevation, temperature, altitude, etc.; best thing is the writing is large enough to read without glasses. Instead of buying different turrets for different conditions the strip is easily replaced in a few minutes, and using calcs from JBM etc which you can fine-tune to fit your rifle and loads. For me the glass quality is totally acceptable for hunting; it's not like trying to resolve a sub-MOA dot at distance for target shooting. Whatever you choose do not trust any ballistic calc to account for a different ambient when it comes to zeroing your rifle at the hunting conditions; leave your rifle and ammo in the conditions you will hunt prior to zeroing and during the hunt or you could be way off. Eventhough the ballistic calcs my be ok, a major change in ammo temp can result in several inches POI at these distances.

2footroper
03-29-2014, 10:23 AM
This link below is the coolest I've seen. Go to the advanced sheet and enter all the data you will be using and see all the differences humidity, temp.,and altitude make on a bullets performance. I do it in 50 yard increments out to 1000 yards.

http://www.hornady.com/ballistics-resource/ballistics-calculator

Vince
03-30-2014, 01:09 PM
I use a Zeiss 5x25-50 on my .338 Win Mag with a Z800 reticle.
I'd look at something like that for the .300 if I were you. In fact that scope was first on a .300 that I later sold. They make a 3 x 15 that I'd look real hard at If I were you.

110FCP300
04-03-2014, 09:23 PM
Vortex viper pst best glass for the money!!

2footroper
04-03-2014, 10:03 PM
I owned two Vortex scopes and both had to be sent back. No more for me. In all fairness it was a while ago and Im sure they have improved.

WYcoyote
04-03-2014, 10:07 PM
Nothing wrong with the Bushnell 6500. A friend has one and I can verify that you can shoot an elk just fine.
Lots of good scopes out there however. Some I have that I like are Zeiss Conquests, Weaver Super Slam, Vortex HS-T.
Just get one that has the features you want and run with it. Don't over think it, they will all kill an elk.

yobuck
04-04-2014, 12:38 PM
The only review i would put any real faith in would be one written by someone i knew and trusted.
As for ranging in the rain, thats a lame comparison as theres almost no chance you'd be needing a rangefinder when its raining.
Take it to the bank that "ALL" lazer rangefinders with the exception of a very few very expensive ones are going to fail you at some point.
That includes the one i own. You might get a reading with yours when your buddy cant with his today. Tommorrow or even 15 minits from
now that could be different. Most reviews wont tell all, only what they choose to tell.
Id personaly be taking the advise of those whove been there and done it over any review.

Hotolds442
04-04-2014, 06:43 PM
My 300 WinMag 116 wears a Leupold Vari-X III in 4.5-14 with the B&C reticle. It has done everything I've asked of it and have no complaints. 6.5-20 might be a bit much on the low end here in the rainy Pacific Northwest where brush is king, but would be fine in the more open areas of Eastern Oregon and Washington. I elk hunted for years with a 2-7 Leupold, upgrading only for a hunt in the Hells Canyon of Idaho, and the range I ended up taking a bull I could have done with a bow.

maxl
04-05-2014, 08:39 PM
Weaver super slam 3x15 on sale at midway for 403.00 great scope for the money