PDA

View Full Version : Selecting an action for a build

guhunter
03-10-2010, 01:41 AM
Assuming that I can get the stock I want for either action, are there reasons to choose a centerfeed action over the staggerfeed or vice versa? I know where I can get a stagger in the proper action length and getting a centerfeed is no problems. I have been looking for a stagger, but figured I'd ask if there is any good reason to go for it over the newer style.

ctrout
03-10-2010, 01:56 AM
Yes, there are reasons to get one over the other. Center feed actions are said to feed more smoothly with certain calibers like Ackleys and WSMs I think. Long actions may allow for more optimal OALs when seating heavy for caliber bullets in short action calibers so some people prefer them for short action cartridges.

guhunter
03-10-2010, 01:59 AM
I am planning on building it in 260 rem. and using a Stockade prairie dog special stock. This will be a target rifle. Don't know if that changes anything

pdog06
03-10-2010, 07:56 AM
A staggerfeed will work fine for a 260 as will a centerfeed so it doesnt really matter. I'd recommend a long action though if you want to use the magazine cause it will allow you to still seat your bullets long. With a short action you proably wont be able to seat them to the lands and still fit in the mag.