PDA

View Full Version : Playing Taps for a "hummer"

shelton4127
02-06-2014, 10:18 PM
2 weeks ago I ordered a Mcgowen .243 barrel in an 8 twist, #9 Douglas contour. Of course, this means I'm going to need a graduated step up from the small shank tenon diameter. I plan to bed the first 4" of the barrel. If that doesn't work I'll grind it out and go to plan "B". I went "ignorant" for a few reasons. Primarily, I am trying to get my wife to play in the 600 yd "F" class game. She's a shooter, but recoil doesn't suit her. 9 lbs of barrel should reduce it quite a bit.. I have a couple of 1000 yard matches coming up, and I'd really love to show that a .243 pushing 115 DTACS will shoot inside of a 6.5 284 in the wind. Might not... So I best be reading flags properly. I kind of like taking "plain gear" and "supposedly mundane cartridges" and make them work.

Back to my main point, and it is a shout out to Savage. I am currently shooting a 12BVSS .223 that I bought in 2001. According to my load logs, she has ran close to 9000 rounds downrange. Somewhere between 2000 and 4000 rounds, this barrel would average .34" groups at 100 yards. It was insane. Almost boring to shoot. I have seated bullets out further and further until now, where the best groups it will hold are averaging .83". That's average. I am getting several groups in the .5" range, but also several in the 1.5" range. It's time to retire the old girl, even though she's plenty accurate enough to tap a coyote.

It is rare that we come across a "hummer", and Savage pulled it off with this one.

So now I sit, waiting for a new barrel to arrive. The wait is killing me. Someone please give me a blanket and a pacifier, and tell me "It's alright" while I wait.

I also need a creative way to monumentalize the only Hummer I've ever shot.

Hotolds442
02-06-2014, 10:23 PM
Sounds like all it needs is a short cutback and a fresh reaming. Don't use it to hold the tomato plants up quite yet.

shelton4127
02-06-2014, 10:38 PM
Sounds like all it needs is a short cutback and a fresh reaming. Don't use it to hold the tomato plants up quite yet.
LOL. Seems like you had a stock that was going to that purpose!

I have thought about the same thing. The throat is pretty much gone, and the last 1/2" behind the crown is pretty slick. I'm thinking that coyotes aren't so good to eat, but tomatoes are. Can I put it in your garden? We'll eat BLT's come late July. :)

Hotolds442
02-07-2014, 12:29 AM
Yea, if you wanna put that barrel in my garden, I'll send ya my address.
I might have to test fire it first tho, maybe have a good smith lop it off and give it a proper caressing with a reamer, you know, just to make sure it was really gone......