PDA

View Full Version : Axis Magazine advice please

ebrown
02-06-2014, 03:06 PM
I paid for a Trophy Hunter XP in 30-06. Will have it in a couple weeks. That comes, from what I read, with a unreinforced stock, Axis magazine, and instead of bottom metal theres some additional complexity in the bottom of the stock. I've read some complaints online about the Axis magazine. I plan on replacing the stock with something from Boyd's Gunstocks. Since I have to buy new bottom metal, I believe I can choose to keep the existing same-as-Axis magazine, or buy the 116-type bottom metal and magazines.

For those of you who have an Axis- do you find the magazine questionable? I don't mind paying another $75 if it avoids a problem.

JWW123
02-06-2014, 03:19 PM
dont need new bottom metal, you just need a long action axis stock, mag is plug and play

fgw_in_fla
02-06-2014, 03:49 PM
I can't ever recall having any issues with an Axis factory magazine or my home brew concoctions. There is always the possibility you may have to tweak it a little but nothing critical.

ebrown
02-06-2014, 03:57 PM
dont need new bottom metal, you just need a long action axis stock, mag is plug and play

That would be nice. I need to contact Boyd's and confirm that the recoil lug will work, but thanks.

JWW123
02-06-2014, 05:09 PM
boyds stock will come with a recoil lug, chose the style and color you want and you are good to go

thomae
02-06-2014, 08:00 PM
dont need new bottom metal, you just need a long action axis stock, mag is plug and play:nono: No, No, NO!
Unless I have misunderstood the OP, he needs a stock for his Trophy Hunter XP in 30-06. The Axis stock will not easily work with the 110-style long action action.

IF you order a Boyd's stock for a 110 inletted for a DBM, then all you need to do is to order the plastic long action magazine frame from Savage. I don't know the part number for the plastic magazine frame, but I have heard it is $14 or $15.00. Perhaps someone else knows the part number. Once you get that and assemble it, your existing magazine with the plastic floorplate will snap right in.

If I have misunderstood the OP's post, please correct me.

Hotolds442
02-06-2014, 08:16 PM
Matte DBM frame only p/n 106703, complete p/n 106706.
These are the part numbers for the bottom bolt release models with standard, non-axis detachable magazines.

jpdown
02-06-2014, 08:34 PM
+1. ^^^^. You will only need to order the plastic DBM Frame Assembly (surround) to use the Axis style magazine in a Boyd's Savage 111 LA stock with DBM inlet. I have both the metal and plastic versions on various Savage builds and I actually prefer the plastic version since there is less chance of bumping the release latch and loosing the DBM. It is also several ounces lighter than the metal version. I would also recommend ordering the new style metal trigger guard from Savage Arms. The picture below shows an upgraded Savage 111 Trophy Hunter with the plastic DBM assembly, metal trigger guard and a Savage 114 American Classic stock from Numrich.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii276/jpdown/PICT0047_zpsd2d1d43e.jpg (http://s266.photobucket.com/user/jpdown/media/PICT0047_zpsd2d1d43e.jpg.html)

ebrown
02-06-2014, 09:47 PM
thomae: Yes, you understand the situation correctly. jpdown: I appreciate the advice and photo. I read a couple complaints about the Axis magazine online, and some positive responses. I figured this was the place to get experience from people who actually use them.

The choice for me is whether I buy just the bottom metal to fix Axis magazine, or whether I get 110-type bottom metal and a new 110-type magazine. If the consensus here is that the Axis magazine is just fine, I can take the less expensive way.

Thanks again for the advice.

thomae
02-06-2014, 09:56 PM
If you go the all metal route, instead of buying an entire new magazine, you could simply purchase the metal bottom plate for your existing magazine for 19.00 from Savagearms.com. I have the part number somewhere if you need it.

Hotolds442
02-06-2014, 09:56 PM
I would say save your money and run the axis magazine. The only concern I would have with it is in really cold weather as to whether the plastic latch would function without breakage.

LoneWolf
02-06-2014, 10:21 PM
I would say save your money and run the axis magazine. The only concern I would have with it is in really cold weather as to whether the plastic latch would function without breakage.

It would have to be very very cold for that to happen I would think.

Hotolds442
02-06-2014, 10:25 PM
I've got one out in the garage where it's currently about 15 degrees. If it wasn't custom made by Frank for a birthday gift, I'd tweak it to see if the plastic remains resilient.

jpdown
02-07-2014, 01:36 AM
I've been a paid member of this site since before the Edge, Axis, Light Weight Hunter, Hunter XP and Trophy Hunter XP were introduced with plastic DBM assembly by Savage. With 100's of thousands of rifles sold I would expect claims of broken plastic bottom cap tabs would be a common problem reported and discussed on this site. I've seen a lot of speculation on the subject, but few actual claims of broken plastic bottom caps. So it really comes down to preference; metal or plastic and what you want to spend.

Rups63
02-07-2014, 02:38 PM
+1. ^^^^. You will only need to order the plastic DBM Frame Assembly (surround) to use the Axis style magazine in a Boyd's Savage 111 LA stock with DBM inlet. I have both the metal and plastic versions on various Savage builds and I actually prefer the plastic version since there is less chance of bumping the release latch and loosing the DBM. It is also several ounces lighter than the metal version. I would also recommend ordering the new style metal trigger guard from Savage Arms. The picture below shows an upgraded Savage 111 Trophy Hunter with the plastic DBM assembly, metal trigger guard and a Savage 114 American Classic stock from Numrich.

Do they make a metal trigger guard with the new bottom bolt release set up?

thomae
02-07-2014, 03:22 PM
Yes they do.

jpdown
02-07-2014, 06:21 PM
Yes. Call Savage Arms Parts with your serial number and tell them you want a black matte metal trigger guard for your bottom bolt release action. Maybe someone else will chime in with the part number.

thomae
02-07-2014, 07:35 PM
TRIGGER GUARD ASSY MATTE RI - PN: 107217 $26.00

The above part is the metal trigger guard with the bottom bolt release button and I checked: it will fit with the plastic magazine surround.

I believe it includes all the parts, but if not, here are their respective part numbers and prices:

BOLT RELEASE BUTTON - PN: 105702 $2.00
BUTTON SPRING - PN: 105703 $2.00
BUTTON RETAINER - PN: 105742 $10,000.00 (Yes, that is the price in partsfinder. I don't know why Savage does that.)

I hope this helps.

Rups63
02-07-2014, 10:50 PM
Thanks! I may get one. The plastic doesn't bother me that much, but I don't like it that much either.