PDA

View Full Version : Any one use the pistol powder loads for .223?

clovishound
02-05-2014, 09:24 PM
I have a new model 11 sitting there with primer, bullets and dies, and no rifle powder. I ran across some reduced velocity loads using a couple pistol powders. It happens that I have Hornady 55 gr FMJ bullets and some Titegroup. I was thinking about trying some of these.

I understand they were designed for use with suppressors. I don't really care about the velocity, or power, as long as they function properly, and are accurate. I will be using them in my model 11, so no worries about enough power to activate the slide.

Anyone ever try them? If they work well, it would certainly keep the cost down on .223 loads. Data calls for 3.1 grains max, with no start load. You could get over 2,000 rounds out of a lb of Titegroup.

the Ranger
02-06-2014, 01:20 AM
I load Titegroup in .38spl, .357mag, and .45colt, it's good stuff. never tried it in rifle cases.

clovishound
02-06-2014, 11:31 AM
LGS just got some powder in. I snagged a pound of IMR 4198. I may try a few rounds of the Titegroup just to see what it does, but I'll be using the rifle powder for now.

BoilerUP
02-06-2014, 11:51 AM
Blue Dot works as well, going from a smidge over Hornet velocities down to 22LR.

BE CAREFUL to not double-charge the case, however...easy to do.

A Google search will turn up a fair bit of info on this...

Rustydust
02-06-2014, 12:28 PM
Blue Dot works as well, going from a smidge over Hornet velocities down to 22LR.

BE CAREFUL to not double-charge the case, however...easy to do.

A Google search will turn up a fair bit of info on this...

I have shot many of our local ground squirrels with 12 grains of Blue Dot and a 40 grain Vmax. It is quiet and accurate. I was very surprised when I shot a 5 shot group of just over a half inch with it when I tried it. It is way fun out to a bit past 200 yards or so and then speeds drop off too much.

I have also tried it in my .17 Remington with equally good results.

Quickshot
02-07-2014, 12:04 PM
A few years ago I used Blue Dot in back-up 12 ga. trap loads. Really dirty stuff that would gum up an 1100. Was even bad in a break open shotgun. I still have some in a can and I have a MOd. 12 Sav. in 223 and a 17 Rem. What was your experience with cleaning up after blue dot use in your rifles? Quick

clovishound
02-15-2014, 09:06 AM
Well, my daughter surprised me by wanting to go to the range. This will be her first time shooting. I went ahead and loaded up 10 rounds of .223 using 3.1 grains of Titegroup and a 55 grain sp bullet.

I thought it might be good to have some light noise and recoil rounds in hand in case she wants to shoot the rifle, and I want something really mild to start with.

I plan on starting her out with a .22lr pistol.

Whether she shoots these or not, they will be tried in the next week or two. I'll report the results back after sending a few down range.

the Ranger
02-15-2014, 01:52 PM
that's not much powder, like 32acp levels. hope they make it out the barrel and don't squib.

correction, 380acp levels, maybe your alright.

bootsmcguire
02-15-2014, 02:21 PM
A few years ago I used Blue Dot in back-up 12 ga. trap loads. Really dirty stuff that would gum up an 1100. Was even bad in a break open shotgun. I still have some in a can and I have a MOd. 12 Sav. in 223 and a 17 Rem. What was your experience with cleaning up after blue dot use in your rifles? Quick

Never tried it in a rifle, but I use it almost exclusively in my 44 Magnum. Shoots very clean in there. Now H110 in a 44 Mag, talk about dirty, but it is fast.

Sorry, now :focus:

clovishound
02-15-2014, 08:14 PM
that's not much powder, like 32acp levels. hope they make it out the barrel and don't squib.

correction, 380acp levels, maybe your alright.

Yeah, the squib thing crossed my mind. I would hate to have to drift a stuck bullet out of a 22" .223 barrel.

At least you can remove the bolt and access the base of the bullet.

the Ranger
02-16-2014, 12:08 AM
so I take it you didn't get around to shooting these today?

clovishound
02-16-2014, 08:58 AM
so I take it you didn't get around to shooting these today?

No, my days off are Tues and Wed. We were going to go on Tues, but I forgot about the holiday, and she will be working Tues. I will go by myself, or with my buddy, and try out a couple. Wonder if I should bring a dowel with me?

MathGeek
02-16-2014, 10:28 PM
Blue Dot is the ticket here. 6-14 grains works well for 40-69 grain bullets. 40 grain bullets push 2800 fps with 14 grains. 6 grains gets around 1200 fps. They are all quiet and low recoil.

clovishound
02-18-2014, 05:26 PM
Well, I made it to the range today and tried out a few of the Titegroup rounds. They shoot like .22 magnum rounds, as far as noise and recoil. POI is a little lower than the full power loads, no surprise there. They are not as accurate as the normal loadings, again not surprising. Accuracy is acceptable for someone starting off. I was a little worried about sticking a bullet in the barrel, and made very sure that I had an impact for every round fired. I'm not sure I would want to run these all the time. I prefer the greater accuracy of the standard loads, but from the limited experience I would not turn my nose up at them for short range work.

the Ranger
02-19-2014, 10:30 AM
nice work. thanks for the report.

clovishound
02-19-2014, 03:03 PM
If I shoot the rest of them in the near future, I will try and remember to post a few pictures of the groups.

This is the control group. 5 shots at 25 yds using mid range IMR4189 with 55 grain soft point bullet.

http://imageshack.com/a/img199/9724/auy1.jpg

The Titegroup grouping was something like 3 shots just barely separated from each other. Probably twice as large a group, if that much larger.

bulldog
02-19-2014, 08:30 PM
Guess its already been said - I like Blue Dot in the 223. 8 grains behind a 40 grn VMax let's me use it like a 22mag with really nice groups. I also read a thread about using 2400 and H110 (I think, this isn't gospel!). If I can find the thread, I'll post a link here.