PDA

View Full Version : Budget scope

Pages : [1] 2 3

cranebird
02-05-2014, 06:52 AM
I fell on snow covered ice while coyote hunting and now my scope is stuck in 7x.I need to get another scope and I am financially challenged at this point so I am considering a 2-7x Vortex Diamondback or a Burris Full Field II in 2-7X .It will be on an .223 axis and longest shot will usually be under 200 yards, therefore I am thinking a 2-7x is really all I need ?Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

barrel-nut
02-05-2014, 07:18 AM
I can't speak for the Vortex, but I know they have a lot of fans on this site. I can say that I like my Fullfield 2's. Very clear, low glare, great value. So both are probably good choices. 2-7 is adequate for 200 yds. Personally, I'd choose a 3-9x, but there's nothing wrong with 2-7x.

cranebird
02-05-2014, 07:47 PM
Thank you for your opinion. I don't have any experience with either.What little I think I know from the 4-12,the lower the power the better for low light / moonlight situations so I thought 2 would be better but the bell diameter probably allows more light through a 3x9 than a 2-7 ?As you can see I'm either overthinking or I am lost.....I will consider a 3x9,Thank You.

buxman66
02-05-2014, 08:15 PM
Thats a 3x TO 9x. the power hasnt anything to do w/letting more light in. Thats where the bell diameter comes into play. Like a 3-9x-40, the 40 is the bell diameter end, bigger bell lets in more light.

cranebird
02-05-2014, 08:41 PM
Thats a 3x TO 9x. the power hasnt anything to do w/letting more light in. Thats where the bell diameter comes into play. Like a 3-9x-40, the 40 is the bell diameter end, bigger bell lets in more light.
Thank you. From what I have been seeing while trying to make up a list of choices,I was seeing that most 2-7x scopes had 34-35 mm bell diameters and 3-9 power scopes usually start with a 40 mm bell diameter, as to why I commented that a 3-9 probably allows more light through than a 2-7.I try to keep it short because I tend to type way too much as a rule. Thank you for confirming that I 'm on the right track , even if I don't explain myself well.:cool:

buxman66
02-05-2014, 08:52 PM
All good! Lol im kinda anal bout details sometimes!

barrel-nut
02-05-2014, 08:58 PM
As a general rule, the above is correct. But the quality of the lenses and the coatings on the lenses also plays a huge role. I have a few cheap 50mm objective scopes that are terrible in low light, much worse than some higher quality 40- and 42-mm scopes I have. To some degree, you get what you pay for in optics. But there are several good choices in the $150-200 range, with the Burris the OP mentioned being my favorite. My only gripe with the Burris models is that I have found their lens coatings to be rather fragile, as in easily scratched. But they have also recoated (or replaced?) one of these lenses under warranty for me with a three week turnaround time, including shipping. Very good customer service. Just my opinion though. YMMV.

cranebird
02-05-2014, 09:15 PM
As a general rule, the above is correct. But the quality of the lenses and the coatings on the lenses also plays a huge role. I have a few cheap 50mm objective scopes that are terrible in low light, much worse than some higher quality 40- and 42-mm scopes I have. To some degree, you get what you pay for in optics. But there are several good choices in the $150-200 range, with the Burris the OP mentioned being my favorite. My only gripe with the Burris models is that I have found their lens coatings to be rather fragile, as in easily scratched. But they have also recoated (or replaced?) one of these lenses under warranty for me with a three week turnaround time, including shipping. Very good customer service. Just my opinion though. YMMV.

Yeah, that is why I skipped the Vortex crossfire II and was thinking of the Diamondback series. They are boasting 91% light transmission ,Burris is claiming light transmission calculation is 95%, thus my reasoning for those two to choose from but now looking towards a 3-9 in the mix. Thanks.

6.5labs
02-05-2014, 10:20 PM
I have no personal experience but redfeild has some. 223 scopes in your price range that would be worth looking at. I have heard some good but like i said no personal experience.
good luck

jalmeter29
02-05-2014, 11:51 PM
My friend has a Redfiled Revenge on his 22 hornet and loves it. it has cool little caped target turrets that you can cover and are finger reset-able no tools required. i have never zeroed a gun so fast. the Nikon Prostafs are the same way and a little cheaper then the Redfiles

1S1K
02-06-2014, 02:33 AM
I would steer away from the Diamondback. I had one and I never could get it to focus clearly and it would not hold Zero. (Funny how they always looks clear in the store). On the other hand, the Fullfield 2 is great for the money. I have 3 and never any problems.

barrel-nut
02-06-2014, 09:48 PM
Cranebird, if you become a paid member of the site, ($15), you will have access to the classifieds, which is a great resource and well worth the money. Right now "devildogandboy" has two Redfield Revolution 3-9x40 scopes in excellent condition with original packaging for sale for $140 each shipped. So for $155 you would get a great scope for your .223 and a year's worth of full access to the site. This scope normally sells for $200 by the way, and I think it would make you a happy man. BTW, I don't know DD&B, just trying to help you both out.

2111 Marine
02-07-2014, 03:39 AM
i've got a UTG 6-24x50 on my .308 axis with adjustable parallax and it is a very good quality scope ,so far no problems issues with it and the glass is very clear/crisp even at 24x

lal357
02-07-2014, 07:49 AM
one i'm looking into is the konuspro m30 line been looking at thier 8.5x32x52 and thier 10x40x52 scopes chatted with one guy and he says they are well worth the money (300-400). i'm asking him some questions now about the higher end of the power IE does it dark,cloudy rind on the outside ect he did tell me the ones he looked thru tracked well which is a must i'm like you on a budget (1000.00) so i want the best i can afford right now but it must be able to perform out to 1000 yds .

Joetinva
02-07-2014, 07:55 AM
I recently put a Redfield Revenge 6x18 on my new 6.5 Creedmoor build and am very pleased with the clarity even at 18 power. I got mine from Killough Shooting. I also like the Mueller scopes.

big honkin jeep
02-07-2014, 07:02 PM
Might want to check out the new Burris E1 series. Awesome glass for the money. I like em so much I've bought 3 in the last year and I'm convinced you"ll not find a better scope even for close to double the money.

justinp61
02-07-2014, 10:33 PM
Check out the Mueller line, great scopes for the money IMO.

CharlieNC
02-11-2014, 02:48 PM
Natchez currently has Nikon Buckmasters on sale; good glass with repeatable turrets for the money. I have a couple for hunting that have served me well for a few years now.

JCalhoun
02-11-2014, 03:03 PM
Leatherwood has some pretty good budget scopes.

Texgunner
02-13-2014, 08:59 PM
Might want to check out the new Burris E1 series. Awesome glass for the money. I like em so much I've bought 3 in the last year and I'm convinced you"ll not find a better scope even for close to double the money.

I'm glad to read your post regarding the Burris E1 scopes. I've been considering one of the
Fullfield E1 3-9x40mm Illuminated scopes recently to put on a Savage 99E in .308. Are your E1 scopes illuminated? I've wondered how the brightness adjustment worked and if it doesn't wash out the image in the dark. I want to use this combination for hog hunting at night, and deer hunting next season. I'd sure appreciate hearing more about these scopes if you have time. Thanks a lot!
Gary