PDA

View Full Version : Savage "gutted" their left handed lineup?????

Pages : [1] 2

pitsnipe
02-04-2014, 04:39 PM
Thinking baseball when I was surfing the Savage web site. And lo and behold, the nasty rumors I had heard on here that they have all but cut off their left hand actions (compared to the glory days anyway) Business is business. But us correct sided get it again. Sure glad I joined the club (mdl 10 lefty) when I did 2 years ago. Now onto the used market in the future. Lighter .223 at that time.

Snipe

missed
02-04-2014, 04:52 PM
Yeah I am glad I didn't wait till this year to pickup another action. I'm good for now.

sniper15545
02-04-2014, 05:23 PM
I think it just B.S. and discrimination that Savage cut back on guns for misfits. LOL :)

Hotolds442
02-04-2014, 06:09 PM
I need one more short, and another long, then I'm set. Too bad they've all but deserted us just to streamline their lineup.

J.Baker
02-04-2014, 06:30 PM
It's a matter of too much demand and the inability to supply that demand.

Right now Savage is running at maximum capacity and are still having a hard time keeping up with all the orders they have. As such they've decided to eliminate some of the lower-volume models to free up some space in the production schedule to manufacture more of the much higher volume models.

I would also speculate that the introduction of the Axis put a big dent in the sales of left-hand 110-series models, because we all know how cheap those LH Savage owners can be. lol

Hotolds442
02-04-2014, 06:35 PM
we all know how cheap those LH Savage owners can be. lol

Aren't you including yourself in that statement, Jim?

RP12
02-04-2014, 06:36 PM
Always remember that only "left handed" shooters are on the "right side" of the gun.

Hammer
02-04-2014, 06:53 PM

Let me look around the basement. Maybe I have a few left-handed actions around here somewhere. Maybe at least one or two to build another swap barrel rifle. Awe, yes, here is another metal shelf of left-handed actions.

Had me worried for a moment.

shovelheadave
02-04-2014, 08:17 PM
Turning your back on part of your core customers....always a good business model.

pitsnipe
02-04-2014, 11:20 PM
It's a matter of too much demand and the inability to supply that demand.

Right now Savage is running at maximum capacity and are still having a hard time keeping up with all the orders they have. As such they've decided to eliminate some of the lower-volume models to free up some space in the production schedule to manufacture more of the much higher volume models.

I would also speculate that the introduction of the Axis put a big dent in the sales of left-hand 110-series models, because we all know how cheap those LH Savage owners can be. lol

Who you callin CHEAP Willis??? LOL!!! Loved that stupid show in the 80's. Sad they gotta do what they think they gotta do. Guess if there is a GOOD reason for, as Shovelheadave put it, "turning their back on core customers", the fact that they CANT keep up with demand. This is one. For the good of the company, I hope in a year or so they can reverse that direction.

Snipe

missed
02-05-2014, 08:15 AM
Turning your back on part of your core customers....always a good business model.

The lefties is what brought me to Savage since all the other manufacturers with the exception of buying a high dollar receiver like a Kelby, Shilen.....I couldn't find a lefty.

foxx
02-05-2014, 10:57 AM
This thread got me doing a search last night for left handed models just to see what was available.

Found a good price on a new 111 25-06 blind mag, accutrigger, left bolt at Buds for $360. Right away I thought, "I'll take it!"
Next, I ordered a walnut, cut checkered, left hand, blind mag, monte carlo, factory stock from Numrich...
I was feeling pretty good about myself. This is going to be sweet!

Just got an e-mail from them saying it was all a mistake. They do not have that model in stock and it cannot be ordered. :(

Thought maybe it was too good to be true.

SFLEFTY
02-05-2014, 11:39 AM
Hi Hammer! I was afraid you were dead! (just kidding)

SoCal326
02-05-2014, 01:52 PM
I was looking for a left handed action and gave up. I've never owned one and lack of options kept me with right handed actions. I ended up ordering a Savage 12 LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor and a right handed action. Maybe some day I'll try one, but today is not that day.

Hammer
02-05-2014, 03:25 PM

If some of y'all actually need left-hand Savages (old ones with real barrel nuts) and will promise to do something useful with them...

Rumor has it that there might be some around somewhere. Maybe even some NIB.

J.Baker
02-06-2014, 12:15 AM
Aren't you including yourself in that statement, Jim?

Sure was, hence why I was laughing about it.

No, a good business model is prioritizing your efforts to maximize the manufacture of the product that are most in demand. For every left-hand rifle Savage sells they likely sell ten or more right-hand rifles. Savage is in the business of making money, and they can make a lot more money selling more right-hand rifles that fly off the shelf than they can left-hand rifles.

The lefties is what brought me to Savage since all the other manufacturers with the exception of buying a high dollar receiver like a Kelby, Shilen.....I couldn't find a lefty.

Same here, but I also know business well enough to know that sometimes you have to make choices that will benefit the majority at the cost of possibly upsetting the minority. So long as the decision is being made for the right reasons I can live with that. As I said, other manufacturers have upped their game in the last 12 years since I converted to Savage's, and I'm not so narrow-minded or fanatical about Savage's that it would keep me from buying a rifle from another manufacturer. In fact, I kind of like the idea of adding a little more variety to my gun safe.

JMGlasgow
02-21-2014, 11:37 PM
I read on another forum that Savage discontinued the model 10 FCP, FLCP, and 11 hog hunter. Is this true?

Hotolds442
02-22-2014, 12:00 AM
The 10FCP and 10FCLP are both gone from the lineup, the Hog Hunter still remains.

Savage6x284
02-22-2014, 12:03 AM
Same here, but I also know business well enough to know that sometimes you have to make choices that will benefit the majority at the cost of possibly upsetting the minority. So long as the decision is being made for the right reasons I can live with that. As I said, other manufacturers have upped their game in the last 12 years since I converted to Savage's, and I'm not so narrow-minded or fanatical about Savage's that it would keep me from buying a rifle from another manufacturer. In fact, I kind of like the idea of adding a little more variety to my gun safe.

Amen.

I've used Savage LH actions for a long time but with new and used LH offerings from Remington, Winchester, SAKO, NULA/ULA, Forbes and others I have plenty of choices.
Since the only part of a Savage LH rifle I use are the actions and the bolts they aren't even economical.
Try out a 700KS lefty and a M70 lefty or a ULA lefty and the shine falls right off of the Savage offerings.
The fact that you can find LH 700KS's for $1000 or less and the fact that these are already outfitted with a top shelf stock and a real 24" barrel along with a great trigger and you'll find that your Savages aren't the sweet deal you presume them to be once you add parts equivalent to what is already on a KS.

chukarmandoo
02-22-2014, 03:45 AM
Everybody knew this would happen when ATK came into the picture. Savage wheels made out like bad dogs. ATK needs to get into the black and out of the red sooner than later. They will do it but but it won't be pretty. Just another Freedom Group deal.