PDA

View Full Version : Savage "gutted" their left handed lineup?????

Pages : 1 [2]

missed
02-22-2014, 08:24 AM
When I bought my flcpk, the Savage was the only one I could find. All the lefties by others were not to be found. My next lefty will be a kelby, Shilen, or bat action. I love the Savage's for the barrel nut also.

bulabula
02-22-2014, 12:12 PM
New Savage owner here, a lefty. Finding used lefty's are slim pickin's in my experience. I have an older Rem1100 lefty that I love shooting in 3-bird shoots.

Been shooting RH bolts and AR's for years but finally bought a lefty model 12 FLV in .223 for my birthday.

After I found this site, I'm jazzed to learn that I could build a swap barrel rifle.

Now I'm on a trek to put together a 24 and 35 caliber lefty bolt action. I'm thinking I want a long action vs short, but that may depend on what I find.

I promised one of my boys that he can have my RH Rem700 .300Wm if I build a Savage. He wants to help and learn too, so it will be a win-win for both of us.

Being left handed in a right hand world can be tough sometimes...

Hotolds442
02-22-2014, 12:20 PM
Midway has several Shaw barrels in different chamberings in the $200 range, including the 358 Winchester and 35 Whelen. That's a pretty easy path to a .35 if you get your hands on a donor action. If you sell the barrel from the donor, you can be into the new barrel for $100-150.

Violentstreak
02-25-2014, 09:51 AM
I just got my first savage centerfire, LH model 14Ac, glad I chose not to wait. Getting a LH'er was one of the big reasons I went to savage in the first place. That and I like to tinker, and like the idea of changing the caliber and what not myself.

Heck, is was like pulling teeth to find a lefty rimfire to pair it with.

Savage6x284
02-27-2014, 05:14 PM
I just got my first savage centerfire, LH model 14Ac, glad I chose not to wait. Getting a LH'er was one of the big reasons I went to savage in the first place. That and I like to tinker, and like the idea of changing the caliber and what not myself.

Heck, is was like pulling teeth to find a lefty rimfire to pair it with.

There are some cheap lefty rimfires out there but when you're looking for a high quality bolt action lefthanded rimfire your choices are very limited. Especially for Sporter style rifles.
You have the custom/semi-custom offerings from NULA and the like.
You have Anschutz but most of these are target style rifles rather than Sporters.
Then you have my favorite, the Kimber of Oregon M82. Super great rimfires in every sense of the word.
Should be getting my highish grade stock back soon from refinishing and fitting of the metal furniture.
Been there two years or so but it will be sweet when it arrives here.

Otony
02-27-2014, 07:13 PM
Don't forget the CZ 452 line. Incredible accuracy!

Savage6x284
02-27-2014, 07:49 PM
Don't forget the CZ 452 line. Incredible accuracy!

Inexcusable!

You're right, the CZ 452 line is wonderful. Old school quality and construction and cutting edge functionality.

The last righthanded rifle I ever bought was a CZ 452. Superb rifle but it went away when I decided that unless it was lefthanded I didn't want it.
Always meant to get a LH version but I haven't done so yet. All my rimfire money and effort is going into my Kimber of Oregon M82 right now but when that's done I'll be looking for a LH 452.