PDA

View Full Version : Ballistic calculator question

T-Rex
03-09-2010, 01:23 PM
As I have recently started reloading for more than just joy and frugality, I was wondering if I should invest in one of these. I have been using the application on my phone and sometimes cross referencing it to the one on Hornady's site. For the most part, they are identical results. Do I need to spend the money for the program or do you think my current means are suitable?? Thanks

EFBell
03-09-2010, 02:16 PM
Downloads are all over the place for programs that work well for free. The math is the same so the results are the same. PointBlank is a good one.

Cover Dog
03-09-2010, 02:31 PM
This is another good one.

www.jbmballistics.com

BillPa
03-09-2010, 03:46 PM
Here is good one. ( FREE!).

In addition to the ballistic calculator it also has a plotter target, firearms record DB. primer,bullet and powder DBs ( editable tab delimited text files) so you can add,modify or delete components.

http://www.huntingnut.com/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=3

Bill

snoog37
03-10-2010, 09:51 AM
Like Ed & Bill - I use pointblank all the time. 3x

EFBell
03-10-2010, 10:08 AM
I also use load from a disc. Cost some money, about 60 bucks if I remember right. It's a helpful program for playing with wildcats and has some other good features.

T-Rex
03-10-2010, 12:52 PM
Wow. That pointblank is definitely more than i was asking for. Great program.
Thanks again guys

js223
03-10-2010, 08:17 PM
The comment about the math makes sense, what will make the difference in accuracy is whether you can get correct BCs for the bullets you're looking at. For boat-tailed bullets, G7 is the way to go. Read 'Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting' by Bryan Litz and you'll have real measured BCs for many bullets. Good inputs give a good calculation.