PDA

View Full Version : New Action? new build...

Rotorhead19
02-04-2014, 01:04 AM
Hey all,
I am new to this forum and wanted to pick some brains. I am currently rebuilding a Savage 111 centerfeed that I have had for about 10 years. Thus far I have replaced the stock with Choate's Tactical Savage stock, went with a Timney trigger set up with 2 lb trigger pull. I currently have a Leupold VX-2 4x12x50 scope but have yet to mount it (thinking of getting rid of it due to the fact it doesn't have Mil-dots or finger adjustable turrets). I am also thinking about pulling the trigger on a Shilen bull Barrel here in a day or two unless I get some feedback as to why not to go with this company. I also plan on sending it out to either SSS or SSG for glass bedding and action trusting. Two questions here: has anyone had dealings with SSS or SSG and if so what's your thoughts on the craftsmanship and customer service. Also, I have about 100 rounds through this rifle and am wondering if its even worth replacing the bolt, etc. I am under the impression that if I get the stock action milled and trued, that should be more than sufficient. Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I forgot to mention that this is a 300WM and I plan on using this rifle for extremely long distances if need be shooting sub 1/4MOA....;) roughly 1000 yds . Thanks in advance!

Maztech89
02-04-2014, 06:56 AM
If you are expecting a sub 1/4moa gun you better be one good shot with really good hand loading techniques. I'm not saying you aren't one of them, but very few people can shoot a 300 win mag sub 1/4. Just so much recoil when they aren't braked.

Me personally I would go with SSS or Kevin Rayhill. SSS you will be waiting a while. He does good work and as a result there is a lot of guys in line.

I don't understand the question about replacing the bolt? Only reason to change that is if you want a fluted or oversized to take up the slop. If you meant the barrel, well it depends how it shoots for you and cleans. Have you done sufficient load work up and fine tuning. I bet there is work to be done with only 100 rounds through it. If you are playing with factory ammo your money would be better spent on a reloading setup IMO. Allows you to get the most from EVERY gun you own. I have a Savage factory tube that shoots lights out but it's a bit of a copper mine. My after market barrel is just as good a shooter but cleans up much easier with no copper. No reason not to go with a Shilen. They're one of many good ones out there: Krieger, Brux, Criterion, Bartlien, Mcgowen, Hart, Lothar Walther and many more make fantastic tubes that perform. Pick your poison or pick your price range/availability.

-MAZ-

Rotorhead19
02-04-2014, 07:55 PM
Thanks Maztech,
I actually ended up with a 26" Criterion bull barrel. The nut, lug and bolt face will all be machined for a perfect connection. This will all be done by Jim from Northland. Hopefully that will take up some slack and movement when fired. I do eventually plan on putting a break on this weapon to help reduce the recoil. I am also sending the weapon to SSS for the pillar bedding and some final touches.