PDA

View Full Version : 308 to 223 what do I need?

charlesncharge
02-03-2014, 07:12 PM
I have a savage hog hunter in 308. I found a 223 barrel that came off of a hog hunter. I have more brass, powder and bullets for 223. Plus 223 is a lil more enjoyable to shoot. What all will I need to make the conversion. Do I need to buy parts from savage or aftermarket. Thanks.

bootsmcguire
02-03-2014, 07:15 PM
You need a SA-308 bolt head and a 223 CF mag and follower, all Savage factory parts.

You could go aftermarket if you choose, PT&G make bolt heads and there are several aftermarket magazines if you want to go DBM, but you will have to have your stock inlet for any DBM setups be it factory or aftermarket. Or get a new stock that's already inlet.

drybean
02-03-2014, 07:19 PM
bolt head, mag. , headspace gauges, barrel nut wrench

drybean

charlesncharge
02-03-2014, 07:29 PM
If I'm just gonna shoot paper and single feed I guess no need for a different magazine?

bootsmcguire
02-03-2014, 07:39 PM
no not really. A single feed ramp from SSS would make it easier but not necessary.

And yes, nut wrench, gauges, and a couple of wood block for your vice are also needed to remove and install the barrel as others have said above. I was thinking about parts needed and didn't even think about tools also.

oneissuevoter
02-21-2014, 04:00 PM
Well then there is the rulz

futurerider103
02-21-2014, 04:13 PM
This would be the worst option to go since it ha iron sights on it.
When you go to put it on your actin it probably won't be timed correctly which would make the iron sights useless and if you take them off you will have the void in the barrel where the sights were.
More of course you could always have a gunsmith put the barrel on and true the sights then he would have to go through the barrel swap process like a Remington. At this point it would probably be cheaper and wiser to just but an aftermarket barrel or another factory varmint barrel

oneissuevoter
02-21-2014, 04:32 PM
Future- thanks. I was planing on troubleshooting it, and learning all you described :)

foxx
02-21-2014, 04:49 PM
Can I buy ... ?

( (Indelibleimagesart@gmail.com)email address deleted)

Don't want to be a pain, but offers for sale and trade are limited to the paid member classified section.