PDA

View Full Version : My New Wildcat

Pages : 1 [2]

Slowpoke Slim
02-05-2014, 11:29 AM
Scope,

"Holy Mother of God", is all I can think to say. May have to put a new sub forum in here titled, "Scope Eyes Really Wild and Insane Wildcats Forum".

Can't your gunsmith just put a scroll knob on the side of the chamber so you can roll the throat up every 5th shot or so?

And I thought the 6-06 AI was overbore!

Well sounds like you're well experienced with these speeds and what to look out for (a 4000 fps DTAC?!).

Will be interesting to read your follow up reports, good luck!

scope eye
02-25-2014, 01:13 PM
Well there is joy in mudville, I just finished up putting that 6mmMachIV barrel on an action, and buttoning everything up and everything looks ready to go, needless to say I can't wait, for those of you who may want to experience insanity also, now that I have figured this whole thing out, The biggest problem usually with wildcats are the dies, this is my solution for this chambering in particular, for full length sizing a Gutted 7mm Rem Mag or a 264 WinMag will work perfectly, and as far as the neck goes, a set of 243 WSSM dies worked out great, the shoulder is not exactly the same but it will chamber and then it will fireform itself, and after that it doesn't matter since it spaces of the belt, and the 243WSSM seating die that came with the set worked out well without any issues, so there you go, once again I can't thank Jim @ Apache gun works enough, any questions feel free to ask, my advise to would be wildcatters is, if you want to build something make sure of two things that the brass is readily available, and forming can be done also with readily available dies, even if you have to mix match them, because chasing obscure brass and ordering a set of custom dies "cost and wait time" with kill the fun out of that project real quick.

Dean

the Ranger
02-26-2014, 02:29 PM
.244 H&H SEI(Scope Eye Improved)?

actually a guy I work with says that his father had a rifle built in the 60's, I think, that was a .243 based on .264win mag case. he never knew much about the round or the gun his dad had built, but says they quickly found that the .243 bullets common to the era would just blow-up on the shoulder of a whitetail buck and not penetrate much. he was young when his dad died and the rifle went to his brother in-law who blew it up trying to load for it.

scope eye
02-26-2014, 02:48 PM
Nothing ever good comes out a story, when the words in laws are injected into it.

Dean