PDA

View Full Version : Neck turning ?

Hammer
02-03-2014, 11:15 AM

Not referring to neck reaming...

But what is the best method you have found for neck turning large quantities of 550 Magnum and 585 Nyati brass ?

TC260
02-03-2014, 10:38 PM
I've never used this guy but IIRC people were happy with him over on 6mmbr.com. I contacted him about doing some 375 cal brass since pilots that large weren't available for my turner but decided it wasn't necessary for the application. Maybe give him a call and see what he has to say. http://www.djsbrass.com/

Hotolds442
02-03-2014, 11:07 PM
I was going to comment earlier this morning, but couldn't find DJ's info. All reports I've seen were stellar.

sinman
02-04-2014, 12:07 AM
I would get a mini lathe and make a shell holder and a mandrel to hold it.

bootsmcguire
02-04-2014, 01:26 AM

Not referring to neck reaming...

But what is the best method you have found for neck turning large quantities of 550 Magnum and 585 Nyati brass ?

Maybe a better question is if you are in need of large quantities of 550 and 585 brass, whens the bull-pdog hunt starting?

Hammer
02-04-2014, 06:58 AM

... whens the bull-pdog hunt starting?

With the feminists increasing their presence it is getting more difficult to get folks to understand that we're on a mature prairie dog bulls only shoot.

The feminists maintain that the female prairie dogs have just as much right to demonstrate their aerobatics as do the bulls.

But ranchers who have been charged by bull prairie dogs while working their cattle herds understand it.

thomae
02-04-2014, 08:15 AM
Please keep the thread on topic.
:focus:

bootsmcguire
02-04-2014, 07:32 PM
Please keep the thread on topic.
:focus:

My apologies. Recalling some of Hammer's previous threads I thought it was a justifiable question, ;).

Sorry for the derailment in the interest of humor. :thumb:

BillPa
02-04-2014, 09:11 PM
I would get a mini lathe and make a shell holder and a mandrel to hold it.

http://i31.tinypic.com/2hhkkgj.jpg

A old press ram in the tailstock, a shellholder and a slightly oversize mandrel in the check to drive the brass. I installed a separate a lead screw drive(Oriental Motor) so I could control the feed rate independent of the chuck speed.

Thanks to Mike Bryant for that idea.

Bill