PDA

View Full Version : Which Scope For F-Class

ShowMeShooter
02-03-2014, 02:19 AM
I've been interested in getting into some sort of competitive shooting, and have went to a couple different kinds of matches. First was short range Benchrest, then long rang Benchrest. On more than one occasion other shooters that I was talking to at the matches suggested F-Class based on what I was telling them I was interested in, So I guess I am interested in getting into F-class. Being inside an hour from the Benchrest club in St. Louis, I figure it might be a good time and it's close so I figure I'll kick the tires a bit here and see what is involved/needed equipment wise. I have a .223 I could use to get started, but it is my coyote rig so I don't want to trick it out, just get my feet wet. I am one scope short on my rifles due to a failure during hunting season, and I need to order a scope for this rifle anyway. At this point I'm looking real hard at the 6-18 Nikon Buck master for this rig. My question is; Will this Scope get me good enough glass for F-class? I think they shoot 600 and maybe 300 yds. Keep in mind it is my hunting rig, and I just want to get my feet wet, but don't want to be laughed off the line. What are most of you all using or what did you start out with.

one more thing...anyone know of a good book or good links about F-class.

02-03-2014, 03:25 PM
Can't offer any help with your scope (I'm new too) but here's an interesting article about F-Class:

http://demigodllc.com/articles/introduction-to-f-class-1000-yard-competition/

barrel-nut
02-03-2014, 05:58 PM
The book "Precision Shooting at 1000 YDS" is a good read. Though not all specifically about F class, it is all good info.

Texas Solo
02-03-2014, 11:43 PM
18x power will be fine out to 600 yds. At 16x, I can clearly see the 10 ring (5 inches) I won my first 600yd F/TR match using a Millet 4-16x50 from Midway for about $300. I shoot Vortex Vipers now, and seldom dial them up more than 16x or 18x due to mirage.
Vipers will cost you about $500 +/-
I personally question the Nikons. I don't think the glass is all that good for the $$$. YMMV

homefrontsniper
02-04-2014, 12:14 AM
I always see refurbished Nikon scopes all the time..

barrel-nut
02-04-2014, 12:38 AM
I agree with TexasSolo, for the price, especially when it's on sale, the Millett 4-16x50 is hard to beat for a dual-purpose hunting and range scope for up to 600 yds. Mine has glass that is surprisingly clear for a scope in this price range. It is built and backed by Bushnell with a lifetime guarantee. It's down side is that it's large and heavy. On mine the clicks are somewhat mushy, but yet very accurate. It's not a Nightforce, but it's also 1/10 the price. Overall a good deal.
For strictly range use, not for hunting, I'd also look at a Weaver T-24. Very good scope for target use at a very reasonable price.

sharpshooter
02-04-2014, 12:52 AM
I would go to the club when there is a match and see what everyone is using. Besides it would give you some insight on the match itself.

Delaware_Ken
02-04-2014, 05:41 AM
Good Morning,

I agree with sharpshooter. You can learn more by going to a match and asking questions than by reading any book you can find.

And, don't worry about being laughed at. Most F/class guys are great, very helpful, and we all had that first match experience. At most matches you can see top of the line custom rifles as well as good old Savages (which I shoot). Don't worry about being intiminated. You could probably just dust off your 223, put a bipod on it and try it at your first shoot. That would be a better plan than buying a scope that you wish you hadn't after you get your feet wet.

Ken

lal357
02-04-2014, 07:00 AM
i agree with the above go to a match most shooter are very friendly i've let people get behind my rifle to check it out on more than one occasion even had enough extra rounds to let a guy shoot it in a match i'm not sure on the dual purpose thing i have a hunting rifle and a target rifle. its not that expensive to get into and be competative i often set up my spotting scope for anyone to use when i'm not shooting and i always bring 2 matts encase someone forgot thiers. the guys i shoot with have become a family i see them at different match all the time .

ShowMeShooter
02-04-2014, 01:52 PM
thanks for the link, that helped a lot. I will go to the next match in my area and check it out. I got in touch with the match director, and he told me to bring what I have the first time. No need buying anything just figure out this style shooting isn't for me.

I really like the looks of the Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50. My buddies neighbor has one on a 300wsm that I sited in the other day. Nice glass in that thing. I would get one of those from Cameraland if I knew the target turrets were spot on.

JCalhoun
02-11-2014, 03:12 PM
For 600y I'm a big fan of the Luepold VX2 6-18X 40 AO Target with fine duplex. Clear, repeatable, good turrets, plenty of internal elevation, and the AO works with sunshades and lensecovers.

The Weaver T series are also popular.

mattri
02-13-2014, 06:27 PM
Not to highjack but I too have been considering giving f-class a shot and have been looking at the Sightron SIII 8-32s. Thoughts?

BW64
02-13-2014, 07:11 PM
As previously stated Millet makes a great scope for the money. I have a 6-25x56 on my Rem 700SPS shooting out to 1100 & it's very clear. Price was around $500.

BW

DanSavage
02-16-2014, 10:53 PM
Most of the guys are using a minimum of 32 power on there scopes, but I have scored very well with a 4-16X. I'ts nice to have a F-class rig that is also a hunting rig.

lal357
02-17-2014, 07:39 AM
+1 on the power mine are 10-50x60 ,12-42x56 and 10-40x50 the wifes is 8-32x50 depending on the mirage we may have to dail it down i practiced this weekend and had set my target ar-15 on 36 power and was able to see my sons 223 holes @ 300yds

kschilling
02-21-2014, 11:29 PM
I can give you some input on that scope. I purchased one about 4 years ago for a basic F Class build. The model I picked up was a FC with a Target Dot. I discovered that the dot was too large for 500 yard F Class targets. It covered the entire 10 ring. Clarity was just fine. I didn't see any limitation with 6-18 power. If you research the Nikon Scopes, this scope has the most MOA adjustment.

As for durability, I have had it on everything from a .223 to a .338-06. No Issues. It's currently on a 6.5 Creedmoor as a loan to a junior F Class competitor. For a multi use rifle, you'll enjoy. I enjoy mine..

Ken