PDA

View Full Version : Bedding job fail

Pages : 1 2 [3]

shooterfpga
02-04-2014, 02:35 PM
It came out just perfect. The bedding looks amazing and the cleanup wasnt bad. Now if only i could get all the clay out of the action and im fixin to try and figure out how the trigger gets back in.

shooterfpga
02-04-2014, 03:10 PM
Everything is now back together. Safety checked, functioned checked. Now to wait a week before i shoot it.

A_LOTA_NOTA
02-04-2014, 03:16 PM
Post some pics!

It came out just perfect. The bedding looks amazing and the cleanup wasnt bad. Now if only i could get all the clay out of the action and im fixin to try and figure out how the trigger gets back in.

foxx
02-04-2014, 03:40 PM
Getting the plumber's putty outta everything is a female dog! I got a set of cheap dental picks somewhere just for that purpose. I sit in front of the TV with a rag on my lap and pick away at it, sometimes for hours.

Maybe someone else on here knows a better way.

Anyhow, Congrats! Feels good, don't it?

shooterfpga
02-04-2014, 03:52 PM
OMG! Yes it does feel great. Its finally done and correct. Now i can finally put it away and be happy. Everything feels much more rigid and i cant detect any deflection in the stock at the barrel even though i didnt reinforce that area with arrow bodies or anything.

FW Conch
02-04-2014, 03:57 PM
I haven't tried it yet, but I have heard that if you mix a little Vegitable Oil in the putty, clay, etc., it stays together and comes out easier????

shooterfpga
02-04-2014, 04:01 PM
Makes sense, i think next time i do a bedding job ill use pam on the parts where the clay butts up against the action and the shoe polish against the stock.

BillPa
02-04-2014, 05:08 PM
I haven't tried it yet, but I have heard that if you mix a little Vegitable Oil in the putty, clay, etc., it stays together and comes out easier????

It generally pulls out in one piece instead of having to scrap and brush it out and shortens the final cleanup time. Its one of the many "tricks" I learned over the years from some of the old time gunwreakers.

How much? Take about a one inch size ball of the putty, add maybe 5-10 drops of oil then knead it in. When it comes off your fingers easily with out leaving any behind its about right. You have to experiment with it a bit.

Bill

02-04-2014, 05:36 PM
FWIW, when I was digging the clay out of the nooks and crannies in my gun, I poured a little kerosene into a cup and used an old toothbrush to scrub the clay out of the recesses. Since the clay was oil-based, it kind of dissolved the clay and made it easier to get out with rags, etc.

barrel-nut
02-04-2014, 06:05 PM

That's awesome! Congratulations and happy shooting. Always more fun to shoot something that you actually had a hand in creating.

sa-shooter
02-04-2014, 10:48 PM
Getting the plumber's putty outta everything is a female dog! I got a set of cheap dental picks somewhere just for that purpose. I sit in front of the TV with a rag on my lap and pick away at it, sometimes for hours.

Maybe someone else on here knows a better way.

Anyhow, Congrats! Feels good, don't it?

After getting as much of the putty by whatever means us non-chlorinated breakclean works really well as you can blast away any putty stuck in tight spots

foxx
02-05-2014, 12:19 AM
Makes sense, i think next time i do a bedding job ill use pam on the parts where the clay butts up against the action and the shoe polish against the stock.

Not sure that's a good idea. I think the putty should have a good adherence to the parts you are trying to protect from epoxy. Otherwise, when squeezing the action into stock, the epoxy could sneak by the putty dam. Also, the putty doesn't like to stay put when there's release agent on the parts before you putty them. It will just fall away. Others might have had luck doing so, though.

I do like to use Pam on the barrel, though. It is quick, easy way to know it has plenty of release agent on it. It does not work well for the parts you want to bed b/c it leaves a gritty surface on the final job.

You can believe me when I say I've tried a lot of things that don't work well when bedding! :)

Bowguy
02-13-2014, 05:03 PM
Home Depot carries them, you'll have to look in their specialty bolt/screw section.

Texasflyboy
03-15-2014, 06:26 PM
Home Depot carries them, you'll have to look in their specialty bolt/screw section.

They do indeed carry them. In the speciality screw boxes its labeled as 1/4" SAE FINE thread which = 28 threads per inch (TPI). The normal 1/4" screw threads are 20 TPI (normally called quarter twenty). I bought some of the 1/4" SAE fine thread 3" bolts today and they fit perfectly in a 116 action.

Link to bolt: http://m.homedepot.com/p/1-4-in-28-tpi-x-1-in-Fine-Zinc-Plated-Steel-Hex-Cap-Screw-802676/204273549/

shooterfpga
03-15-2014, 06:35 PM
They do indeed carry them. In the speciality screw boxes its labeled as 1/4" SAE FINE thread which = 28 threads per inch (TPI). The normal 1/4" screw threads are 20 TPI (normally called quarter twenty). I bought some of the 1/4" SAE fine thread 3" bolts today and they fit perfectly in a 116 action.

Link to bolt: http://m.homedepot.com/p/1-4-in-28-tpi-x-1-in-Fine-Zinc-Plated-Steel-Hex-Cap-Screw-802676/204273549/

Hey appreciate the info! Ill go check again and look for those.