PDA

View Full Version : Bedding job fail

Pages : 1 [2] 3

foxx
02-03-2014, 04:12 PM
As Phil Robertson, of Duck Dynasty would say, "Now you're cookin' with peanut oil!" :)

barrel-nut
02-03-2014, 05:54 PM
Not clear if it still is or not, but you don't want it to pivot on the recoil lug. It shouldn't touch the bottom of the lug recess in the stock.

shooterfpga
02-03-2014, 06:17 PM
Not clear if it still is or not, but you don't want it to pivot on the recoil lug. It shouldn't touch the bottom of the lug recess in the stock.

Nope. Its been shaved out and sitting completely level now. No pivot points or anything. Its sitting a little low now after taping it but im going to leave it alone as its double taped at the tang to float and i can always dremel some off the back of the stock afterwards. I relieved it a good 1/8 all around for the new bedding to sit especially after noticing the stock material was higher than the pillars.

shooterfpga
02-03-2014, 06:22 PM
The only thing im debating on doing is pulling it apart after 10-12 hours to make the cleanup easier before it completely hardens.

barrel-nut
02-03-2014, 08:51 PM
Sounds like you're in good shape now. Just my opinion, but if you've done a good thorough job with your release agent, I'd leave it alone for 24 hrs.and let it cure thoroughly. I don't think there's going to be anything that will clean up any easier at twelve hours than 24. Just my opinion.

foxx
02-03-2014, 08:58 PM
Yep, just as barrel-nut said.

I've made this recommendation before...

at this point it might be best to take a Xanax and forget about it for a day. :)

If there is any epoxy showing, try removing it now with wd-40 and a q-tip or cleaning patch. Other than that, let it go.

Eager to hear how it turns out.

shooterfpga
02-03-2014, 09:02 PM
Yeah, i cleaned the excess that poured out above the action. I think ill just leave it till it cures and dremel out any overflow i see inside the stock.

barrel-nut
02-03-2014, 09:09 PM
Take a break. Pop a top. Try not to think about it. Get some sleep. :-)

jonbearman
02-03-2014, 10:06 PM
Check out some of the great bedding video's on youtube.That way you can get a better handle on the situation.I dont know your money situation but a better stock with good pillars or a bedding block like the hs precision's or bell and carlsons would be a way better start as they are more rigid.

shooterfpga
02-03-2014, 10:13 PM
Check out some of the great bedding video's on youtube.That way you can get a better handle on the situation.I dont know your money situation but a better stock with good pillars or a bedding block like the hs precision's or bell and carlsons would be a way better start as they are more rigid.

Too expensive for me. The cheapest were boyds tacticool and choate tactical stocks. I know its asking for a lot from a factory stock but i wanted to try anyways and i really only use it for hunting so while a better stock would be nice it wont do anything my current one cant.

barrel-nut
02-03-2014, 10:53 PM
You'll be fine with that one. I've shot some of my finest groups from my 10FP when I had the original flimsy Tupperware stock on it, before I "upgraded" it. Roll with what you've got now and be proud of it.

shooterfpga
02-03-2014, 11:22 PM
Quick question. I dont remember how far forward (past the barrel nut) that i applied release to. What can i do to break it free if it does get stuck?

I ask because i went to turn the action screws and well thats when i noticed a bunch of epoxy spilled forward of barrel nut. Theres tape on the stock just after the tape on the barrel nut though. So i think it shouldnt get stuck?

barrel-nut
02-03-2014, 11:34 PM
Well, hopefully you did put release agent there, and just don't remember it. If it sticks, i've heard of people putting the whole rifle in the deep freezer for a number of hours, then taking it out and sharply rapping on it on the sides of the stock with a hard rubber or leather mallet to break it loose. The metal should contract slightly away from the bedding material when it gets really cold. And the shock of rapping on it should pop it out. But hopefully you won't have to worry with any of this.

foxx
02-03-2014, 11:36 PM
It might stick. Don't worry about it. What's done is done. Leave it alone! You can only mess it up by moving it at this point. If it needs to be cut-off of the barrel I am sure it can be replaced. I might even have one I'd give you. Put it down and post your results in the morning!!!! :)

foxx
02-03-2014, 11:40 PM
BTW, I have the same feeling every time I bed an action.

And don't panic if it does stick. And don't start cutting off the stock, either. I meant that as a worst-case scenario.

shooterfpga
02-03-2014, 11:45 PM
Ok, ok lol. Im leaving it be thanks again guys.

foxx
02-03-2014, 11:49 PM
Just thinking out loud... what if he took a length of piano wire or bare electrical wire and ran it up along the underside of the barrel now, before it is fully set, so as to "cut" the epoxy. Just in case?

barrel-nut
02-03-2014, 11:52 PM
If its Devcon, it's probably too late. I'd leave it be.

foxx
02-04-2014, 12:05 AM
yep. Dang it, Shooter! Now you got me wanting to mess with it, too. :)

sa-shooter
02-04-2014, 01:49 AM
Do yourself a favor and follow Thomae advise and go to link he indicated it is one of the best tutorials on bedding.
after reading the article, then decide how you want to correct your bedding problem. I have done 8 rifles following that method and all have come out with no problems. I am on my ninth one as I write this.