PDA

View Full Version : B-Mag Series: B-Mag Bolt

Rooster 50
02-02-2014, 06:42 PM
Picked my Bmag up on friday and mounted a scope on it today. Everything went well until I tried to work the bolt. It goes up and back just fine but it takes 2 men and a boy to close it all the way.

It is so stiff that i am afraid i am gonna damage it trying to close the bolt.

Seems to function fine otherwise. Mag was stiff but seated with a small tap and the trigger works fine.

Any ideas or fixes for this.........

FWIW I cannot believe what all of us are going thru to own and shoot this POS.

Yankee
02-02-2014, 06:51 PM
Unlike pretty much every other bolt gun, it cocks while closing.

There is nothing you can do, it is the way the gun is designed, sadly.

Rooster 50
02-02-2014, 07:14 PM
I knew that, I am just astounded at how hard it is to close. I may end up having my gunsmith go thru it and see if he can smooth it out a bit.
Guess I will see how it shoots before i sink much money into it.

owenp
02-02-2014, 08:09 PM
A tiny bit of Teflon grease on the inside of the locking lugs helped with the gritty feeling mine had closing it. Moly grease might even work better. I don't think there will be much you can do though.

Yankee
02-02-2014, 08:11 PM
I knew that, I am just astounded at how hard it is to close. I may end up having my gunsmith go thru it and see if he can smooth it out a bit.
Guess I will see how it shoots before i sink much money into it.

Definitely shoot it before you put time and money into it.

The factory bolt lever doesn't offer much leverage, so an aftermarket one might help the issue a bit. Beyond that you're looking at custom work, if your smith can do anything substantial at all.

Rooster 50
02-02-2014, 10:17 PM
Where is everyone getting the aftermarket bolt for this rifle? Anybody have a link

Crashbombs
02-03-2014, 01:17 AM
Maybe you have a faulty one? I can't cycle mine as fast as a regular bolt but its definitely not hard. I can keep it shouldered and cycle it and generally maintain my target.

My bigger problem is that if the bolt handle rotates down to easily while the bolt is open. This sometimes causes the lugs to not line up and then I close the bolt handle on the stock. Basically I'm shorting the action it is just something I need to be more aware of not really the guns fault.

Crockett
02-03-2014, 10:03 AM
Maybe you have a faulty one? I can't cycle mine as fast as a regular bolt but its definitely not hard. I can keep it shouldered and cycle it and generally maintain my target.

My bigger problem is that if the bolt handle rotates down to easily while the bolt is open. This sometimes causes the lugs to not line up and then I close the bolt handle on the stock. Basically I'm shorting the action it is just something I need to be more aware of not really the guns fault.

That is how mine functions also. It's real loose and a little sloppy when fully opened, but seems to close and cock just fine when I don't short it to.

ejk24
02-03-2014, 04:38 PM
As already mentioned , lube all the moving surfaces and cycle it several times to see if it helps .

Matt99
02-04-2014, 12:13 AM
I seem to try and close it about 1/2" too short if not paying attention. It is hard to close regardless even after lubing

Rooster 50
02-04-2014, 01:56 AM
I found that mine will not close if the gun is on the fire position. So if you fire it and then try to cycle a round it will not close. If you fire it and remove the bolt and put it back on safe it will close but the pressure required to close the bolt is horrendous. I talked to Savage customer service about it today and the girl told me she would have ot have her supervisor call me back. I waited 3 hours for her call.

I am beyond disgusted This thing is the biggest POS i have ever owned.

I especially like the part where the girl in customer service talked to me like I was a retard for about 5 min before i blew up. She actually asked me if I knew how to close a bolt on a rifle. Whe i told her i owned close to 30 bolt actions she got nicer.

Mine is so stiff to close i had to put on gloves because the bolt handle was cutting my hand.

Yankee
02-04-2014, 01:33 PM
I found that mine will not close if the gun is on the fire position. So if you fire it and then try to cycle a round it will not close. If you fire it and remove the bolt and put it back on safe it will close but the pressure required to close the bolt is horrendous. I talked to Savage customer service about it today and the girl told me she would have ot have her supervisor call me back. I waited 3 hours for her call.

I am beyond disgusted This thing is the biggest POS i have ever owned.

I especially like the part where the girl in customer service talked to me like I was a retard for about 5 min before i blew up. She actually asked me if I knew how to close a bolt on a rifle. Whe i told her i owned close to 30 bolt actions she got nicer.

Mine is so stiff to close i had to put on gloves because the bolt handle was cutting my hand.

Yeah, that's not normal at all!

+1 on it being one of the worst rifles i've ever bought. I knew i was gambling on this one, and i lost.

Rooster 50
02-04-2014, 11:45 PM
Well after talking to Savage again today I am just a PO'd as before but a few things have changed. I want to thank whomever suggested some grease on the locking lugs. That did free it up some and I have an action plan for tomorrow. I am going to lap the lugs in with a three step lapping compound. Then reapply the grease. Savage emailed me a pick up for it. If this doesn't work I am gonna ship it back with a note for them to shove it where the sun don't shine.

I can't believe a company I have had so much respect for would send out something this cheesey.

BTW Yankee my sentiments exactly. a 300dollar gamble and loss.