PDA

View Full Version : Soon to be Savage owner

clovishound
02-02-2014, 09:04 AM
New member here. Been thinking about getting my first center fire rifle for a while. Decided on the model 11 VT in .223. I plan on using it for target shooting. Perhaps my buddy may talk me into going hunting with him, but I haven't done any hunting since bell bottoms were in style. I've got a set of .223 dies and a trim system on order. Hopefully an appropriate rifle powder will be in stock locally when the dies get here. I got a cash infusion yesterday and plan to make the purchase on my days off middle of the week.

Anyway, are there any issues I should be aware of. I would like to put one of the Boyds thumbhole laminate stocks on it eventually. May swap out the glass at some point as well, depending on how money is, and how much I like/dislike the Bushnell that comes with it. All that can come later, after I have a chance to get used to rifle shooting in general, this rifle specifically, and reloading rifle ammo.

The only rifle I have ever owned was a Marlin model 60 I bought new with a scope for $21. Yes, that has been a while back. I thought about another rimfire, but I really enjoy the extra punch of centerfire in handgun shooting, so I thought I would try that route. Since I plan on doing predominantly/exclusively target shooting, I decided that .223 would be significantly cheaper to reload, and cases are far easier to scavenge than other rifle calibers.

Any advice appreciated.

tbartley
02-02-2014, 11:47 AM
Welcome clovishound to the site and, maybe, to a life of swapping, modifying, and just plain having fun with your savage rifle(s). Just to warn you though, once you start...you can't stop.

This site is the "Go to" for savage info. IMHO, the collective insight here goes far beyond anyplace else. There are many folks here who have a vast in-depth knowledge of the savage rifles and there are people who, like me, learn from those aforementioned individuals.

Peruse through the thread titles in this section and others applicable to your interests, like the reloading section (since you plan on reloading) and aftermarket stocks, etc. Try utilizing the search function, as it sometimes finds the answer, and then, when you still have a question...ask.

This is a very informative and interesting place to glean knowledge that doesn't exist elsewhere.

Again, welcome and enjoy.

clovishound
02-04-2014, 07:37 PM
Well, I picked up my new Savage today. Gave it a quick cleaning, and took it to the range. I was only able to run 20 rounds through it. They only had one box of .223 available without buying a box of the high dollar ammo, or the steel cased Tula. Everything cycled like it should, and the gun was accurate. I spent the first 15 rounds playing with the scope adjustments, and concentrated on a grouping for the last 5.

The trigger was very smooth, and too light a pull. Felt like it was under 2 lbs. I will need to look through the procedure for trigger adjustment. This trigger is way too light for the woods, if I decide to try my hand at hunting. Recoil was very light.

Unfortunately, none of the powder on the shelf at my LGS is appropriate for .223. Fortunately, the factory ammo that I got the last box of today, was less expensive than I expected. Guy behind the counter said they normally have it on the shelf.

What problems would I be in for by running steel cased Tula through it? I know one must not shoot brass after steel, until you give the chamber a good cleaning.

eddiesindian
02-04-2014, 10:04 PM
I dont mind running steel case ammo thru some of my gas guns but i wont do that on my bolt Savage,s........

clovishound
02-05-2014, 06:43 PM
Went to my buddy's house today. We loaded up a handful of .223s. Went with him and his son to the range and tried them out.

This was a 4 shot group at 25yds. That is the maximum distance at this range.

http://imageshack.com/a/img32/4217/79tb.JPG

It's a little hard to see, but this is a single ragged hole you can cover with a dime.

Here is the entire rifle. I know, you can see hundreds like it in the showrooms. Still, most forums have a "no picture, didn't happen" rule.

http://imageshack.com/a/img38/7972/6k5.JPG

Got home and found my dies and trimming system waiting for me. I have primers and bullets, just have to find some powder now.
Except for the powder thing, I'm a happy camper.