PDA

View Full Version : Many questions about a model 11vt stock swap.

Pages : [1] 2

Bones
02-01-2014, 04:50 PM
I have a few questions about my savage model 11VT .308 win (the dick's sporting goods exclusive rifle).

I'm wanting to swap the factory stock to a "Boyd's FEATHERWEIGHT THUMBHOLE SAVAGE 110 BOTTOM BOLT RELEASE DBM LONG ACTION FACTORY BARREL CHANNEL PEPPER LAMINATE FINISHED" Part ID : 43A294C-06-112

I have been reading up on here about the rifle and it seems that there is quite a few things I need to look at & understand better for doing a stock swap on it. From what I've read so far this rifle uses an axis style mag & latch system. Most stocks I've seen say "DBM" which if I'm correct in my reading is a metal mag & latch system. They say you can order bottom metal from savage to accommodate for the new stock which makes me assume that the plastic bottom metal insert in my factory rifle is not interchangeable to the new stock. According to the Boyd's info from the website this stock will accommodate for the bottom release bolt & DBM, but may require to purchase the bottom metal component system through Savage or any aftermarket component supplier. It also states they use a flat bottom metal design, which may require more parts for mounting trigger guards, and plastic bottom metal etc.

It's a bit confusing to me being as this is my first savage rifle & the first time I've looked into a stock swap. Any insight on wether or not this stock will work for my rifle & a list of parts required for this conversion would be greatly appreciated.

I personally am not a fan of the plastic magazine bottom & catch. As a mechanic I see plastic parts failing & breaking all the time and would prefer a metal box & latch system if there is one applicable to fit this rifle & stock together.

jpdown
02-01-2014, 06:02 PM
Sounds like you have a Savage 11 SA, center feed with a varmint (VT) contour barrel and blind magazine. You want a Boyds TH featherweight stock with DBM. Does you Savage have a bottom bolt release or a side bolt release? You need to order a Boyd's Savage 11 short action TH Featherweight with DBM inlet in pepper. You can order the metal or plastic DBM frame assembly and bottom magazine cap to use in this stock. The bottom cap snaps onto your current magazine box and follower. Call Savage Arms Parts with your serial number to order these parts and a bottom bolt release trigger guard is that is what you have. You may have to open up the barrel channel on the stock with a dowel rod and sand paper to free-float a varmint contour VT barrel.

futurerider103
02-01-2014, 06:10 PM
The response sounds confusing sorry.
You currently have DBM like the Axis, Model 11/111 hunter XP.

For this stock you will need to order a bottom metal and magazine(may get away with just the bottom cap), from a wood stocked model 11, METAL is the key word here because they are different setups now. The old plastic stock model 11/111's did have an actual bottom metal but as of last year they changed that. Good luck.

Bones
02-01-2014, 08:09 PM
My current stock is synthetic, the barrel is a thicker bull barrel, my current magazine is the axis style with the plastic release attached to the magazine & the bolt release is on bottom in front of trigger guard

Bones
02-01-2014, 08:13 PM
Is there a bottom metal to covert away from the plastic magazine release to a more durable metal release? And trigger guard & bolt release can they also be swapped to a metal part?

futurerider103
02-01-2014, 08:39 PM
Is there a bottom metal to covert away from the plastic magazine release to a more durable metal release? And trigger guard & bolt release can they also be swapped to a metal part?

There is. like I said use a wood stock DBM bottom metal and mag. Trigger guard and bolt release I'm not sure on that. Maybe one if the higher end rifles that have a metal bottom metal may have a metal trigger guard

jpdown
02-02-2014, 01:38 AM
My current stock is synthetic, the barrel is a thicker bull barrel, my current magazine is the axis style with the plastic release attached to the magazine & the bolt release is on bottom in front of trigger guard

Sounds like you have the newer SA, CF synthetic stock with the Axis style bottom cap. It appears the stock does not have the plastic DBM frame assembly (surround), but only the plastic bottom cap. If you order a metal SA DBM frame assembly, SA metal bottom cap and metal bottom bolt release trigger guard from Savage Arms Parts, you should have everything you need to convert to a Boyd's laminated wood Savage 11 SA CF DBM thumb hole stock. You will need to open up the stock barrel channel to free float the varmint/bull barrel contour. Use several coats of Tru-Oil Gunstock Finish to reseal the wood.

Bones
02-05-2014, 09:28 PM
Thanks for all the help guys, I've found the parts I need to make the conversion, however upon researching the stock I want more I've ran into another issue. It seems Boyd's doesn't make a thumb hole stock that will accept both the bottom release design of the newer savages & accommodate for the bull barrel. My current stock measures roughly 1" wide at the front end & the Boyd stock only measures 3/4" wide & they say it can be extended only to a maximum of .875" still not wide enough for my barrel

Bones
02-05-2014, 09:45 PM
I never thought it'd be so hard to find a wood thumb hope stock for a rifle considering all the modifications that are available out there.

Chrazy-Chris
04-06-2014, 02:23 PM
Have you had any luck since your last post? I just purchased the same dick's sporting goods rifle. For those trying to follow along (like me), here's a pic of the stock 'bottom metal' on the Dick's 11VT:

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3690/13673032905_53dcac0fab_c.jpg

Chrazy-Chris
04-17-2014, 12:04 AM
Dude! Keep us posted! I want to put a tacticool stock on mine!

jpdown
04-17-2014, 09:45 AM
Chrazy-Chris, pictures sure do make it easier for other members to provide advice. Your rifle already has the composite DBM frame assembly (surround) and bottom cap. It will fit a Boyd's stock with a bottom bolt release and center feed DBM inlet. You may want to order a metal trigger guard. You can order from Savage Arms Parts. Give them your rifle serial number and tell them you want a matte metal bottom bolt release trigger guard. You will need to open up the barrel channel on the Tacticool stock to float a varmint/bull contour barrel. Use a short dowel rod or socket with a diameter similar to the barrel wrapped in sand paper. There is plenty of wood on the sides to do so. The pictures below shows a CBI light varmint countor barrel and bottom metal fitted into a Tacticool stock that I just finished. The composite DBM frame assembly (surround) and bottom cap are the same dimensions as the metal parts. The only difference is the way the bottom cap latches up to frame assembly.

It should also be noted that I had to sand off about 1/4" of wood from the bottom of the stock around the trigger guard so that it was flush and not recessed in the inlet. I've got fat short fingers. I also had to deepen the inletting at the front of the DBM frame assembly and glass bed the area so that I could move the lips of the magazine box closer to the bolt head before it would pick up and reliably feed .204 Ruger cartridges from the magazine. This may not be an issue with larger cartridges. But with my Tacticool stock, it was not a simple drop-in fit. Others experince may differ.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii276/jpdown/PICT0083_zps4e18a084.jpg (http://s266.photobucket.com/user/jpdown/media/PICT0083_zps4e18a084.jpg.html)

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii276/jpdown/PICT0084_zps477bf733.jpg (http://s266.photobucket.com/user/jpdown/media/PICT0084_zps477bf733.jpg.html)

Chrazy-Chris
04-17-2014, 08:39 PM
Chrazy-Chris, pictures sure do make it easier for other members to provide advice. Your rifle already has the composite DBM frame assembly (surround) and bottom cap. It will fit a Boyd's stock with a bottom bolt release and center feed DBM inlet. You may want to order a metal trigger guard. You can order from Savage Arms Parts. Give them your rifle serial number and tell them you want a matte metal bottom bolt release trigger guard. You will need to open up the barrel channel on the Tacticool stock to float a varmint/bull contour barrel. Use a short dowel rod or socket with a diameter similar to the barrel wrapped in sand paper. There is plenty of wood on the sides to do so. The pictures below shows a CBI light varmint countor barrel and bottom metal fitted into a Tacticool stock that I just finished. The composite DBM frame assembly (surround) and bottom cap are the same dimensions as the metal parts. The only difference is the way the bottom cap latches up to frame assembly.

It should also be noted that I had to sand off about 1/4" of wood from the bottom of the stock around the trigger guard so that it was flush and not recessed in the inlet. I've got fat short fingers. I also had to deepen the inletting at the front of the DBM frame assembly and glass bed the area so that I could move the lips of the magazine box closer to the bolt head before it would pick up and reliably feed .204 Ruger cartridges from the magazine. This may not be an issue with larger cartridges. But with my Tacticool stock, it was not a simple drop-in fit. Others experince may differ.

That looks great! Thank you very much for the info! When you recommended buying the metal trigger guard, was that because the plastic one is weak or because the metal one will fit the tacticool better?

Your paint job looks excellent- how did you do it? I am thinking of doing an olive drab base with black speckling and I love how your marbling/speckling turned out.

Oscarflytyer
04-17-2014, 09:43 PM
Very same gun. Can anyone post part numbers for the bottom metal - and metal trigger guard? Thanx

jpdown
04-18-2014, 02:27 PM
IMO, the plastic trigger guard won't stand up under field abuse and it is a potential weak link for the best accuracy. I believe it will flex and possible break if you tighten the rear action screw too much. Especially if you loose the metal insert.

You can get a small can of Krylon webbing paint to add spider webbing/speckles and dress up your stock. I comes in several colors. I over did it with the silver because I had an old can. So I came back with black webbing to tone it down. My advice is to do a practice run on cardboard with the webbing paint to get the hang of it before moving to your stock.

jpdown
04-18-2014, 02:35 PM
Very same gun. Can anyone post part numbers for the bottom metal - and metal trigger guard? Thanx

I copied this information form another post. So use at your own risk.

FRAME ASSY SHORT MATTE (DBM) - PN: 106238 $68.00
TRIGGER GUARD MATTE (AT) - P/N: 105417 $24.00
MAG BOTTOM SHORT MATTE (DBM) - PN: 106245 $19.00

These are all metal with matte finish. So double check with the sales person when ordering through Savage Arms Parts.

Chrazy-Chris
04-20-2014, 09:45 PM
Thanks for your help everyone- I just ordered the tacticool for my 11VT. I'll let ya'll know how it goes. I plan to bed the stock using acraglass or something similar (hopefully I can find something locally) and painting it myself. I'm going to hold off on ordering any new bottom metal components until I see what I need. I'll probably order a metal trigger guard eventually just for the sake of replacing the plastic one.

Oscarflytyer
04-21-2014, 10:12 PM

These are all metal with matte finish. So double check with the sales person when ordering through Savage Arms Parts.

Thanx JP. Looking at this as my first upgrade. Scope will eventually be next.

Oscarflytyer
04-21-2014, 10:13 PM
Thanks for your help everyone- I just ordered the tacticool for my 11VT. I'll let ya'll know how it goes. I plan to bed the stock using acraglass or something similar (hopefully I can find something locally) and painting it myself. I'm going to hold off on ordering any new bottom metal components until I see what I need. I'll probably order a metal trigger guard eventually just for the sake of replacing the plastic one.

Really looking forward to how the stock works out for you! I would like to eventually do the same with mine.

1375619cm3
04-22-2014, 08:25 AM

Would these part numbers work for the 11vt in 243?