PDA

View Full Version : Sling preferences?

hardrock86
02-01-2014, 01:40 PM
Hello,
Not sure what section to have put this in, but as it applies to when I go hunting, I hope its in the right spot. Im looking to get a sling for my first hunting rifle, Savage Axis. Is there any difference in any of the 500 brands I see when googling for them? Are some more sturdy than others? What do you guys prefer?

One of my friends said to look for a wide one so its easier to have over your shoulder, but beyond that, is there anything else I should be looking for?

Thanks a lot.

TC260
02-02-2014, 06:53 PM
http://specialtyoutdoorproducts.net/RifleSlings_Shotguns_Pinckney_MI.html

thomae
02-02-2014, 09:02 PM
I really like the Super Sling because it is easily adjustable in length and i can use it to help lock in the rifle for offhand shots.
http://www.outdoorconnection.com/products.cfm?page=details&cat=Sling&sub_cat=Super%20Sling%202&name=The%20Original%20Super%20Sling%202+

or http://outdoorconnection.com/products.cfm?page=details&cat=Sling&sub_cat=Super%20Sling&name=The%20Original%20Super%20Sling

The only difference is the width.

They can be purchased at many sporting goods stores.

yobuck
02-02-2014, 09:03 PM
slings can be grouped into catagories depending on the intended use of it. there would be types that would be better for using as a shooting aid than others. for prone shooting with a sling for example a military style sling would be better than most other types.
it would also serve well for just carrying a rifle. as a rule these arent intended to be the most attractive. others are by and large
just intended for carrying the rifle. they can be as plain or eloborite as your personal taste dictates. with the popularity of bipods
very few people today would be using a sling as a shooting aid. most would no doubt be looking at it for carrying purposes only.

big honkin jeep
02-03-2014, 05:30 PM
I've tried quite a few and my personal preference for hunting and rifle carry is for a wide sling made of nylon and neoprene. I like neoprene because it's grippy on the back and doesn't constantly slip off of my shoulder. It also stretches a little sorta acting like a shock absorber between my shoulder and my rifle while hiking in. The price is usually right on em as well.

Willoughby
02-03-2014, 06:52 PM
MONTANA SLING is the best sling I own-hands down

jpdown
02-03-2014, 08:16 PM
+1 on the MONTANA SLING. I've been through a bunch of styles over the years. Simply the best I've found for a hunting rifle.

sniper15545
02-03-2014, 11:31 PM
I've been buy a sling called the "claw" Its a nylon strap with a rubber type pad on it, It really sticks to your shoulder. I found them at Cabela's.

hardrock86
02-04-2014, 10:19 AM
Thank you guys for all the links and info. I ended up going with the rubber one from the first link, since it seemed to have good multiuse, and I liked that it didnt slip off your clothing (like my friends rifle did that I borrowed last time). Really like the look of the Montana sling too, so that is also something to consider for the future. Thanks again.