PDA

View Full Version : Axis Magazines/Stocks

erikpolcrack
02-01-2014, 12:44 PM
I have several 110 rifles and one Axis in 223 Rem. I am interested in incorporating the Axis into the pool of 110s that I swap barrels and bolt heads on. I am concerned about magazine length and magazine well clearance in the Axis stock. The rear of the 223 mag has a block in it, and it looks like a similar mag without the block would be plenty long enough for 308-length cartridges, but certainly not for 30-06 length. I remember reading in the forum that all axis bolts and actions are "long", but I was wondering about the magazine well in the stock. It doesn't look long enough to me to take a 30-06 length magazine. Is there a "long mag well" stock needed to convert my 223 Rem for 30-06 length use?

LoneWolf
02-01-2014, 01:42 PM
Yes, everything on every Axis is cut the same except for the magwell and magazine. Therefore, if you restock the Axis, you would need it cut for the Long action magazine and a new magazine for the 30-06.

J.Baker
02-01-2014, 04:48 PM
The stocks are the same, but the removable bottom piece (trigger guard) is different. The one for a long action magazine ends just forward of the trigger guard while the one for short-action magazines is longer to make up for the difference in magazine lengths. If you're keeping the factory synthetic stock all you would need to do is change that piece and the magazine as needed to go back and forth between barrels for a long action or short action cartridge. If you go to an aftermarket laminate stock you will need two stocks - one for long action magazines and one for short action magazines.

LoneWolf
02-01-2014, 05:44 PM
Sorry should have clarified that I was referring to the aftermarket laminate stocks that are available.