PDA

View Full Version : ER Shaw Contours

Waceyf
02-01-2014, 01:05 AM
Does anyone know if the ER Shaw contours, for savage pre-fits, match those of Savage? I ordered one and also ordered a stock from McMillan and they said they don't have the programming for ER Shaw but the do fir Savage so I said go ahead and use the Savage specs as I thought they were the same, however the more I think about it I'm now worried the savage may have smaller diameters. Anyone know?

the Ranger
02-01-2014, 01:02 PM
that's the idea of the "pre-fit". i don't have one, but they are suppose to match.

FW Conch
02-01-2014, 01:19 PM
The ER Shaw site has their contours, dimensions, and weights listed, and those designed for Savage specificily listed. If I were ordering a high end stock where they will inlet the barrel to my specifications, I would error on the " large" side. If it's a little bit bigger, that's just more room for air flow, and barrel cooling, but that's just me. I have some Varmit stocks with Sporter barrels on them, but all mine are hunting rifles, not "show guns". ;-). But I do bench work and load development with them.

Good Luck.......Jim

Waceyf
02-01-2014, 03:21 PM
I understand that's the idea Ranger but ideas and facts are two different things. If you look at Mcgowen "pre-fit" for Savage they have different dimensions than those of ER Shaw "pre-fit"

SFLEFTY
02-01-2014, 08:36 PM
I think if you actually ask Shaw they will be helpful. It sounds like they are pretty close to factory contour, as are Criterion. McGowen and Shilen seem to be the jokers in the deck, evidently they are straight taper rather then "two-taper" and so are always fat for the stocks. I hope Dennis will clarify the McGowens anyway, just for the education of us all. Maybe Jim at NSS can comment on the Shilens.

Waceyf
02-01-2014, 08:41 PM
I have an email in to Shaw that I sent late last night so once they get back with me I'll post for any who may need to know for future reference. I also have an email in to McMillan to make sure the dimensions I have match their programming. I may ship the barrel into them just to be safe. Where could I find the a Savage specs? I appreciate the input all.....

DanSavage
02-02-2014, 02:19 PM
Here are some measurement for you. Factory Savage .308 24'' varmint contour is .837 @ muzzle. ER Shaw .308 24'' varmint pre fit is .866 @ muzzle. These are measurement of my barrel's and I would expect to see slight variations from different lots of barrels. You should be allright as long as McMillan free floats for Savage varmint, sometimes you can use the straight bull contour with a varmint stock.

FW Conch
02-02-2014, 10:14 PM
That's exactly what I would do! But that's just me ;-))