PDA

View Full Version : Reloading for 7mm

MWalker
08-31-2009, 09:57 PM
I am waiting for my new savage that I purchased over the weekend to come in. Now I need some load info. I have 162gr Hornady SST's, some leftover imr4831, and some Federal 215 primers. I also have a bunch of brass from my other 7mm. I was told to get new brass for the new rifle. What do I have to do to the new brass? I only have the full length sizer and deprimer. Do I need to size the new brass before reloading? I assume I should make sure all the cases are the same length. Anybody have a preference as far as maker?

GaCop
09-01-2009, 06:50 AM
How many times was the old brass loaded? If it's not very old and primer pockets are still tight, you can full length size it and use it in your new rifle. With new brass, it's a good idea to run it into the size die to straighten out any dings in the mouth of new cases. I also lightly trim and inside/outside chamfer new brass to smooth up the mouth of the case. After the first firing in my chamber I then switch over to neck sizing for subsequent loadings.

If you don't mind the higher cost, Lapua brass can't be beat and it lasts for quite a few loadings. Hornady and Nosler also makes good brass.

laportecharlie
09-01-2009, 10:02 AM
If that 7mm is a 7mm Remington Magnum you may or may not be able to use brass from another gun. Back when I had one of those I tried to load some of my fired brass for a friends rifle. Could never get it sized enough to close the bolt in his gun. New brass might be your best way to go.
Charlie

MWalker
09-01-2009, 07:38 PM
It is older brass. I will probably get new brass. So you are saying that I need to FL resize the new brass for the first time?

laportecharlie
09-01-2009, 11:36 PM
You don't need to but it's always a good idea to run it through a size die. If nothing else it will uniform deformed case mouths.
Charlie

MWalker
09-09-2009, 11:16 PM
You don't need to but it's always a good idea to run it through a size die. If nothing else it will uniform deformed case mouths.
Charlie

Do I set up the full length die as per the directions or do I do it differently? I guess what I am asking is if I need to run the shell all the way up the die or just enough to size the neck?

laportecharlie
09-10-2009, 12:04 PM
On new brass I just run it in far enough to uniform the case mouth.
Charlie