PDA

View Full Version : B-Mag Series: Changing stocks on the B Mag

CarlC
01-31-2014, 05:52 PM
I just got a featherweight thumbhole Boyds stock. I haven't read where anyone mentioned trouble getting the escutcheons and action screws out of the plastic Savage stock. I removed the rear action screw and threaded it in a little ways from the inside and tapped it lightly and it came loose easily. I removed the screw and pulled the escutcheon out with my fingers. The problem came with the front action screw and escutcheon. The action screw backed out enough to remove the stock but that's all. It had a retaining clip on the inside. I used a screwdriver and pliers to remove the clip but I can't get the screw to back out or the escutcheon to move. I've tried tapping, I've tried holding the escutcheon with pliers and turning the screw and nothing is working. Are the screw and escutcheon one piece? Which way do they come out? That D-clip bothers me because I haven't seen anyone else mention it.

I'll be the first to admit that I have no business owning any tools. Any help or guidance you can give me will be appreciated. Right now I have some Kroil on them. I know I can cut them out but I hate to in case I have to return the gun to Savage. Thanks.

Carl

Jeremy B
02-01-2014, 08:26 AM
My stock didn't have a clip on the screw. You might want to use a punch to knock out the escutcheon, it shouldn't take any more effort than the one on the rear action. You could always call Savage and order one

CarlC
02-01-2014, 10:07 AM
Thanks Jeremy. I probably need to order a new escutcheon and action screw since I can't get the screw to back out. It's like the screw is locked up or frozen in the escutcheon. I will try to punch it out. From the exploded parts diagram it looks like they go in from the bottom of the stock so I'll try to knock them out from the inside through the bottom of the stock.

I read your post on Rimfire Central and saw the picture of the escutcheon and screw you posted. It didn't seem like anyone over there was having any problems changing stocks so I figured I had better ask. Thanks again.

Jeremy B
02-01-2014, 11:39 AM
I used my cheap screwdriver with the hex bit and my hand to tap that one out

CarlC
02-01-2014, 01:11 PM
I tried a small socket and a hammer. Nothing budged. It may be glued in, especially with the clip having been there. I'll call Savage first thing Monday. Thanks for your help.

Matt99
02-04-2014, 12:51 AM
I used a punch and it came out promptly. Could you post a pic

CarlC
02-04-2014, 12:30 PM
I took a picture but can't figure out how to post it. Do you have to be a paid member? I used a punch first and it didn't come out. The screw will not back out of the escutcheon, the whole thing turns easily so I guess it's not glued in. I called Savage and they are going to send me replacements. The lady I talked to said that some people lost theirs because they fell out so easily. She didn't know why the clip was on the action screw either. Guess I'll just wait on the replacements. Thanks.

Matt99
02-04-2014, 12:35 PM
No. Use photobucket.

CarlC
02-04-2014, 01:03 PM
http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p404/cccsdc/DSCF1881_zps49b4aecb.jpg?t=1391529669

CarlC
02-04-2014, 01:08 PM
Guess we haven't figured out how to post the picture itself. It shows the one that came out (rear one) and the clip that was on the front one.

gsperaz
02-04-2014, 03:54 PM
Carl, maybe I can help,
The D-clip is used to hold the front magazine mount (on all Bmags), not the action screw.
The action screws thread through the escutcheons , from the picture it looks like your front action screw removed the barrel stud/post (threads into barrel) the action screw threads into this stud.
More then likely the action screw is seized or cross threaded in the stud, this is why you cannot separate the two by un-screwing.
Where is the plastic magazine post ? There is an exploded view in the owners manual that may also help some.

CarlC
02-04-2014, 05:31 PM
gsperaz, I hadn't noticed the clip in the exploded view. When I removed the barrel from the stock I was holding it upside down to remove the action screws. It came apart quickly so I don't know how it was before I removed the stock. The clip was on the action screw when I saw it. The plastic magazine post fell out too. I guess when the stock fell off the clip must have pulled out of the magazine post. You're right about it being seized or crossed threaded. In the picture you can see some shavings where we tried to hold the escutcheon and take the action screw out. Thanks for clearing that up for me. Hopefully my replacement action screw and escutcheon are on their way from Savage. One good thing came from this... I can now spell escutcheon without looking.
Thanks again. Carl

gsperaz
02-04-2014, 05:44 PM
Carl, your going to need a new barrel stud as well. With the two being cross threaded, you don't have a stud which needs to be threaded into the bottom of the barrel. The action screw threads into the stud.

gsperaz
02-04-2014, 05:55 PM
Here are the steps on how to assemble since you did not have a chance to see it before hand.
1-Thread new barrel stud into the bottom of the barrel and tighten firmly.
2-Slide the magazine post over the barrel stud.
3-Install D-clip into the groove on barrel stud. This will secure the magazine post.
4- Install escutcheon, carefully seat into it into appropriate hole with a punch.
5- Thread action screw into escutcheon.
6- Assemble stock to barrel assembly.

CarlC
02-04-2014, 09:55 PM
gsperaz, I really appreciate your help in this. I checked the barrel and there is no barrel stud on it. I guess it backed out of the barrel when I tried to remove the stock. I thought it was the escutcheon all the time. I'll call Savage first thing in the morning for a barrel stud replacement. Also thanks for the steps on assembly. I figured I'd have to try following the exploded diagram. At that point I'm sure I would have noticed the missing barrel stud.
Thanks again.

CarlC
02-05-2014, 11:27 AM
A final update. I called Savage this morning and explained everything to them. They are having me to return the gun to them for repair or replacement. I had the gun ordered since May and my gun store never could get one. I ran across this one at WalMart in Covington, VA in Jan. and ordered a replacement stock the same day. Due to the ammo shortage I never fired the gun or mounted a scope, waiting for the Boyds stock. After all that, what's a few more weeks?
Thanks to everyone here for their interest and help. This is a great site.

gsperaz
02-05-2014, 01:38 PM
Good Luck Carl, I here the lead time is 6-8 weeks from savage.

Rooster 50
02-05-2014, 07:25 PM
Good Luck Carl, I here the lead time is 6-8 weeks from savage.

OH NO they told me a lot less than that...lolol that guy blew so much smoke up my rear end i thought i was a chimney.