PDA

View Full Version : Question about the finish on the BVSS stocks

Savage Lover
03-08-2010, 10:23 PM
So I ordered a new unfinished Boyds thumbhole and it will be here tomorrow. I had a BVSS and would like to duplicate the finish if at all possible. All I've heard is that it is an "oil rubbed finish". Anyone know what type of oil or the process involved? I really like how smooth and slick it is on my cheek, very comfy ;)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

pa hog
03-08-2010, 10:44 PM
I've seen a local smith doing a matte clear Duracoat and it's freaking sweet. And is way more durable than factory.

McKinneyMike
03-09-2010, 06:33 AM
So I ordered a new unfinished Boyds thumbhole and it will be here tomorrow. I had a BVSS and would like to duplicate the finish if at all possible. All I've heard is that it is an "oil rubbed finish". Anyone know what type of oil or the process involved? I really like how smooth and slick it is on my cheek, very comfy ;)

Tough to beat Tru-Oil gunstock finish for a working gun. Simply wipe on more when ever the mood strikes you. No need to strip the stock to bring it back to original luster. Not a durable finish in the elements, but easy to finish, easy to maintain and classic in all respects.

Dirk
03-09-2010, 09:51 AM

I believe it is a matte lacquer finish.

cwop
03-09-2010, 09:55 AM
i love tru-oil have done 6 or 8 stocks using that stuff. go to boyds website they have a vidio there using it. here is my process several coats using fingers pounding it into grain. let is dry steel wool it down.

then i cut the tru-oil 50-50 using mineral spirits. put it on sparingly i use cotton patches. one coat throw any left out and use new patches for the next coat. between coats use steel wool lightly.

get a good light so you can see.

good luck if you fail steelwool it off and do it again until you get it right.

bob

durango
03-10-2010, 09:44 PM
Effie told me that the BVSS (1998 model) has a lacquer finish on it. Fairly easy to repair--IF--you've got the identical material to make the repair. Boyds' laminates finish out beautifully with oil. I bought Formley's tung oil at the local Ace Hardware-enough to do 4-5 stocks for $7.00. The bad thing about lacquer is that it will chip easily-don't ask me how I know. Steve