PDA

View Full Version : Bolt face.

RP12
01-31-2014, 12:36 PM
I got a different bolt head for a build and noticed that the face (where the cartridge sets) is not shinny smooth around the outside perimeter. It kind of looks like the old Spyro gragh patterns. I can barely feel it when I drag a pin head over it. Is this a normal thing or is it bad ? Should I get a new one or see if I can have this one re surfaced. I tried taking a photo, but it doesn't show up. I would like to know before I go through the trouble of head spacing it. Thanks.
Rick.

RP12
01-31-2014, 07:18 PM
Anyone ?

BillPa
01-31-2014, 10:42 PM
Sorry for the late response. I had a gun club meeting to attend.

Anywho, I wouldn't worry about the bolt face. Its just a guess but what you seeing are slight tooling marks that weren't fully polished out. You could have it faced but I don't think it would make much or any difference.

Bill

bootsmcguire
01-31-2014, 11:22 PM
Yup. RP12 sounds like what you are seeing is very light tooling marks. I just checked the other 308, a 223, a Magnum, and a 30-06 bolt faces that I have handy here and they all have that pattern. The 06 is more noticeable than the other 3 but they all have it. I'm gonna go pull a couple of my bolts from the actions and take a quick peek at them as well but light tooling marks are kind of the norm with factory bolt heads.

AZ_GUN_NUT
02-01-2014, 11:49 AM
I always use my Dremel with those Rubber emery polishing tips to clean up my bolt and breech faces, works great!

RP12
02-01-2014, 01:19 PM
I polished it with Flitz and a Q-tip, and yes it's just tooling marks. So I assembled the bolt. Now just waiting on head space gauges.