PDA

View Full Version : Inconsistant shots

Pages : 1 [2] 3

FW Conch
01-31-2014, 08:04 PM
Have you watched any of the films on bedding, such as the ones on YouTube, etc. ?

shooterfpga
01-31-2014, 08:20 PM
Yes i have. There was one i seen that was pretty detailed for savage but i cant find it again.

shooterfpga
01-31-2014, 08:58 PM
No turning back now. Just epoxied it so if its wrong i guess well see. I have epoxy spilling out down tge action screws and a lityle out the sides.

shooterfpga
01-31-2014, 09:32 PM
Looking at a video it looks like i should have used a lot more release. Hope i didnt screw myself.

brasse
01-31-2014, 10:45 PM
I do not like people saying 10 power is more than enough. Not every one has 20-10 or even 20-20 vision.

I can see well enough to shoot a deer at 200 yards with 10 power, but that is not what I use for precision shooting on paper.

I would go with the high visibility targets is a great idea, but remember your group size will typically halve when you double the scope power. I always use targets that open up, but my scope at 24 power can read the labels on the targets at 100 yards and can see where the bullet hit easily at 200 yards.

Don't be afraid to back out the bolts after a couple of hours, some people actually remove the action after a couple of hours and then add more release and put back together again for 24 hours.

I shoot my 308 fairly fast, about one shot every 20 seconds. But after about 10 rounds I let it cool down some. Actually I usually switch to a second rifle to shoot.

shooterfpga
01-31-2014, 10:49 PM
I think ill take that advice and a lot more release. I assume you can also add more epoxy if needed at that time too?

shooterfpga
01-31-2014, 11:53 PM
Just finished pulling it apart. Glad i did because the little amount of release i put didnt help a bit. Two spots of the action had epoxy stuck to it. Redid the clay better and added more epoxy because as it settled it thinned out. Im happy with the way its sitting now and it should be a good bed now.

limige
02-01-2014, 12:09 AM
I use araglass gel its very easy to work with doesn't run much at all. Comes with a good release agent and die.

I run tape under the tang two layers... I do the barrel front bottom and sides of the recoil lug and the top edges of the stock.

limige
02-01-2014, 12:16 AM
Actually I tape the stock

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e256/limige/20131229_210531_zps4edf8d32.jpg

shooterfpga
02-01-2014, 12:18 AM
I did mine similar to yours however next time i think ill add a single layer of tape along the entire action and barrel. In my head it seems like just a single layer will keep the bedding tight but still allow it to break free a lot easier than release alone. Am i thinking correct or is it a waste of time to do it like that?

boostless
02-01-2014, 12:30 AM
Your not gonna wanna put tape on you action, the whole idea of bedding it is to get a tight fit between it and the stock. If you stick a piece of tape there your giving it room to move around although it might not seem like much to me it's kinda defeating the purpose of bedding the rifle. I've not had any formal "training" so it might not be 100% and I'm sure I will be corrected if I'm wrong.

As for brasse, everyone has their opinions, I think a 10x is plenty for shooting at 100yds. I would probably stick with my 10x at 1k but I am not trying to shoot a 5 in group, although that would be nice, and I can't afford a proper $1000 plus scope.

limige
02-01-2014, 12:31 AM
No tape on the action you'll be wasting your time. Just the release agent. Key is to fill sharp corners like where the box mags attach with clay. Last one I didn't even use clay just several layers of release agent

shooterfpga
02-01-2014, 12:37 AM
Gotcha, i wont use tape there then. Appreciate all the advice. I used clay because i didnt exactly know how to block it off for a dbm bottom bolt style. Also, i only used one layer of tape on the lug sides and front, for future reference is that good or should i use two?

brasse
02-01-2014, 12:56 AM
boostless, He did say
my vision isnt as good anymore . Wait till your eyes age, they will. I hated when my eye could no longer focus on both the front and rear sight of my 1911. But I have 2X shooting glasses and a flourscent Hi Vis front sight that lets me have fun

I doubt many use a 10X at 1000 yards. Most 10X can not compensate for the bullet drop of say a 7.62x51.

Even my OLD eyes can hit a bulls-eye at 100 yards with 10 x, but I can't see exactly where the bullet hit. And you sure don't need a $1000 scope. I still get more tight groups with my $59 Simmons 4-18x50 scope than any other scope I have. I tried to trade it away, tried to give it away, but I still have it. My Savage 10TR sports a $200 Sightmark 8-25x50 that has allowed me to see three bullets go through the same hole at 100 yards. It handles the Las Vegas 115 degree heat just fine.

shooterfpga, I ditched my bipod a long time ago, too much wobble. Show us some photos when your bedding is finished.

And you know what they say, you got to work on your weak points. Seems you are good standing and prone, so more bench practice.
Relax and have fun, practice perfect and good things will happen.

limige
02-01-2014, 01:01 AM
I use two layers of electrical tape on the front bottom and sides of the recoil lug.

Use tape on the sides of the mag well too.
if you have an internal mag fill the corner between the box and the action with clay or pull off the box.

The recoil lug is a sticky area definitely helps to have several layers. Clay around the sear is good insurance against lock. Also wrap the bolts in tape too

limige
02-01-2014, 01:15 AM
Don't be shy with the release agent use it on the whole action recoil lug barrel nut sear trigger anything you don't want epoxy on and do like three coats.

The sticky areas are usually the lug the bolts and the sear

shooterfpga
02-01-2014, 01:20 AM
Yeah when i pulled it apart earlier i used a ton of release this time. All over the places you just mentioned. One thing i did notice when i went to go turn the action screws to make sure they werent stuck is one side of the action is flush with the top edge of the stock while the other side rides a little above the top edge. Does that matter?

limige
02-01-2014, 01:34 AM
Not really just aesthetics. If you want to avoid that you have to sand out the bedding area prior to bedding it and add pillars to set the height of the action.

As for your bench shooting try off bags. Many people have issues with bipods and benches.

shooterfpga
02-01-2014, 09:46 AM
The rear action area somehow got screwed up so i had to redo it but the front came out great. If this one doesnt hold ill tear the rear out again and drill more holes.

02-01-2014, 09:55 AM
Ok, sounds like i need more tape on the barrel then because the tang definately isnt free floated by th thickness of a layer of tape. More like 1/4"

Adding more tape to the barrel/fore-end is going to lower the clearance in the tang area.

Think about a see-saw: If you raise the muzzle end, the tang end is going to go down, assuming equal contact in the action area.

I used 2 layers of elec tape between my barrel and fore-end and it worked out about right, though I still needed to sand in the tang area to get full clearance.