PDA

View Full Version : Sellier & Bellot Brass for Reloading

palerider338
01-30-2014, 06:05 PM
Any thoughts or practical experience using this brass for reloading ?? Interested in 30-06 and magnum calibers mostly.

Not much info via Google foo on this subject.

fgw_in_fla
01-30-2014, 06:15 PM
Just another CBC product out of Brazil. I have a bunch of it I picked up from the range. Sizes & reloads with out anything out of the ordinary to mention.

Best way I can think of if to load 'em up & have a go of it.
it's not like its Russian steel case or anything like that...

PS - the stuff I have is on its 3rd loading after the original use which means its 4th firing.

palerider338
01-30-2014, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the info Frank !! Was looking at getting into a 338 Lapua and using S&B for plinking @ $ 31 / box and reloading the brass later on.

Just trying to keep the costs down on that caliber. Have lots of empties in 30-06 to work with in Remmy, Win, etc.

Looks like trial and error well determine whether it's worth it.

fgw_in_fla
01-30-2014, 07:24 PM
I think you'll find its as good as anything else out there. I know I can get 10 - 12 firings from '06 brass easily from R-P & Fed brass if I neck size & FS every 4th or so. Plus annealing...
I haven't had the opportunity to torture test any odd brands like S&B. I have quite a bit of S&B for my 9mm & .380 that's been reloaded to more times than I can remember & still going strong.

palerider338
01-30-2014, 07:46 PM
Yeah....kind of funny with S&B ammo......seems the stuff in the green and yellow box is made in Czechoslovakia and the red boxed ammo comes from Brazil.

fgw_in_fla
01-30-2014, 08:08 PM
It seems since the great ammo "shortage" there's a lot of stuff coming out of Serbia, Russia & God knows where else. It's good for general practice or teaching the kids but for accuracy, I think I'll rely on my own stuff that I know will perform when I need it to.
I hope.

Too bad a lot of that stuff is steel cased. I see buckets of it at the range and no one is fighting over who gets it. I did see a you tube video of a guy that was reloading 5.45x39 steel case. He made it clear about one reload only. He was popping the primer out by filling the case with water & driving a punch rod down into the water. The case sat on a block of wood drilled out to hold the case & allow the primer to pop out.
Pretty innovative if the necessity ever arises. I mean, if you have powder, primers, bullets, press, dies, etc....

palerider338
01-30-2014, 08:25 PM
Kind of like reusing primers......bang 'em out and reworking them. LOL. " Necessity is the Mother of Invention ".;)

Not sure I'd waste my time reloading steel cased stuff. I buy it by the crate real cheap....my Mini-30 eats it up !!

With the price of most factory heavy magnum ammo these days reloading is a necessity unless you own a bank. LOL

fgw_in_fla
01-30-2014, 08:55 PM
Same here with 7.62 & 5.45 for the Ak's & SKS's. Gotta buy it cheap & stack it deep. The only time I even take them out is when I'm training the kids or grandkids. The corrosive primer stuff is a pain to clean up after.

I wonder about some of the armchair warriors & couch commandoes I see at the range. They show up with a full can of 5.56 & wade thru a pile of empty cases when they leave. That's got to cost a few bucks for a couple hours of shooting and to let all that brass sit there just KILLS me.
Too many times I tried to talk myself into getting a .223 to go with all that brass. Just can't do it. I like my big bullets too much. Big bullets make big holes.
And the brass is reusable...

BillPa
01-30-2014, 09:59 PM
That's got to cost a few bucks for a couple hours of shooting and to let all that brass sit there just KILLS me.

About twice a week I go to the club to check/replace target backers, empty the trash buckets under the benches and do other odd jobs to help keep the place in shape.

Two weeks ago when I emptied the buckets I collected 3lbs of FC 223 and 1-1/2 lbs of LC13 5.56 brass. I didn't count them individually but using 92 gains per case by weight it worked out to be roughly 342 sticks. :p

Bill