PDA

View Full Version : Savage 99: Just saying hello!

Sidewinder99
01-30-2014, 02:23 AM
Hi all just wanted to introduce myself. Name is Sidewinder99, AKA Tom Smith. A little about my Savage history. When I passed my hunters safety at 13 my first deer rifle was a 99 in 308 win. I never took a deer with that rifle and after 3 season of hunting with it something broke in the action. The ejector would pop out after the last round was ejected. Needless to say it was sold and I moved on to a 760 remington 30-06. I was not happy with the 760 so I traded it for a 742 in 30-06, that was sold after I missed 2 deer with it. Next was a very nice Rem 721 in 30-06 that I swor I would never sell. Will last Chrisrmass money was tight and I sold it to a coworker so the kids would have something under the tree. Before selling the 721 I talked to my dad to see if he had a loner rifle I could barrow for next hunting season. Dad told me I not to wory about it that he would have something for me to use. Will two weeks ago dad invited me to go shooting with him. When we met up at the range dad told me that my B-day present was in the back of his truck. A mid 50's Savage 99R in 300 Savage that is factory drilled and taped for a scope. I had no idea that he was going to give me a gun let alone a Savage 99. I did not even know that he had one for that mater. When I asked him about it. He told me he picked it up last spring form a friend at church who's dad bought it new in the 50's. "I thought you might like it sense your first hunting rifle was a Savage 99" was his reply. Will like it I love it. It took me 30 years to get another one, but I'm back in the Savage 99 again!

Sidewinder99

Rick_W
01-30-2014, 09:20 AM
Welcome

Mad Dog
01-30-2014, 06:58 PM
There's no finer 99 than an R in 300 Savage, none!

I let the young buck in the deer camp use my R in 300 last year and he took his first deer with it, a 6 pt buck.

Sidewinder99
01-30-2014, 07:58 PM
There's no finer 99 than an R in 300 Savage, none!

I let the young buck in the deer camp use my R in 300 last year and he took his first deer with it, a 6 pt buck.

I would have to agree with you on this. Always felt bad for letting the 308 Savage go. It was such a good gun for snap sooting. When we would go to the hunter sight in days at the local range. They would give you one ticket to shoot the 100 yd. running buck. After your rifle was zeroed. My first time shooting at the running buck I was so nervous. There was always about three older gents teasing every one about how bad they missed or gut shot the buck. Dad told me not to worry about it. Just lead it about 3 inches in front of the nose, and stop shooting when the buck reaches the flag. I was able to get three shots off and when my score came back all three were in the neck. With about a three inch group. One of the older gents popped off with I bet you can't do that again. Dads reply was "He only needs to do it once. Tommy I think your ready to go deer hunting." BTW I really like the recoil of the 300 savage a hole lot better than the 308 win.