PDA

View Full Version : 62/64-Series: Remove 64 barrel for cleaning?

mattri
01-29-2014, 10:49 PM
Anyone here remove the barrel on their 64 to clean it?

mazda3gun
01-30-2014, 05:54 PM
Yes, easier than you think too. A flathead, Phillips, a T15(I think, it's the standard driver head for any Savage action screws), and a 7/16 socket/wrench
1) Unload, safety ON. Lock bolt OPEN.
2) Remove the two bolts at the mag well, the bottom metal stays with them. Set the stock aside.
3) Remove the screw behind the trigger, one in front of it. Remove the one from the mag well(Phillips head)
4) Trigger assembly and mag well drop away, you should be left with one more screw that holds a bracket that holds your barrel to the action. You can use a 7/16 socket/wrench for this. Remove and pull the barrel straight out.
5) You can unlock the bolt and it will slide right out to clean it.

There should be a total of 6 screw/bolts and the gun will be disassembled.

mattri
01-30-2014, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the reply. Saw some youtubes, it looks pretty simple. Your barrel came out easy enough, did you need a vice etc?

mazda3gun
01-31-2014, 10:02 AM
No, I don't know why these people(youtube vids and other sites) say you need a vise??? It slid right out with ease. I think that's just for support of the action or something.
I was afraid of the same thing you're thinking, just do it man! If you need a vise, there's probably something wrong with your 64.

shagerott
01-31-2014, 10:29 AM
+1 on what mazda3gun says. I have one and have pulled the barrel a couple times to clean it. Patch worm works too, but when it is all fouled up, easier to pull the barrel. NOTE - Careful on torquing the screws when you put it back together. The mounting studs can strip easily. Don't ask how I know that - LOL! BTW - This 64 works best on Fed Automatch if you can ever find it. Not as dirty as Rem Golden Bullet so more shots before the bolt gums up. YMMV