PDA

View Full Version : 62/64-Series: 5 round mag for 64s?

mattri
01-29-2014, 08:50 PM
Kicking around the idea of picking up a 64, but don't like how far down the mag protrudes. Does anyone make a 5 round mag?

mazda3gun
01-30-2014, 05:44 PM
Nope, 64 owners are kinda stuck with what we have. There's little aftermarket for 'em man.
Not a bigger or smaller mag than the 10 rounds, made yet.

mattri
01-30-2014, 06:50 PM
Bummer. I like the idea of a 64FV with the 20.5" barrel like out of an FVXP package in a stock like the TR-SR, think it would be a fun range gun. I haven't been able to find any of the old Boyds stocks though, and the mag definitely protrudes too much. From looking at pictures of the mags it seems like it might be doable to leave the top of the mag alone but cut some material off the bottom and re-tack it. If the project ever goes anywhere I'll look at it some more.

wlleven
01-31-2014, 01:22 AM
Bummer. I like the idea of a 64FV with the 20.5" barrel like out of an FVXP package in a stock like the TR-SR, think it would be a fun range gun. I haven't been able to find any of the old Boyds stocks though, and the mag definitely protrudes too much. From looking at pictures of the mags it seems like it might be doable to leave the top of the mag alone but cut some material off the bottom and re-tack it. If the project ever goes anywhere I'll look at it some more.

The mag is cheap pot metal. no welding or anything with this mag.

With the 64 you have on option of DIP bolt release and a better mag release .... that is it.

It is very basic, if you want to customize it with cool barrels, extra stocks, triggers etc, etc ..... you have the wrong gun. What you have is what you get. You can make it cool, but it is not a Ruger that you can spend $1000 on with custom everything.

wll

mazda3gun
01-31-2014, 10:13 AM
I can see chopping up a mag and shortening it, possible. Probably have to shorten the spring too.

The upgrades I've found through asking on here and Googling the crap outta the 64 are:

Longer charging handle, extended mag release, and Picatinny slip-on-dovetail rail from DIP www.diproductsinc.com (http://www.diproductsinc.com)

and a Trigger Spring Set from www.mcarbo.com (http://www.mcarbo.com)

Personally, I have the longer charging handle which helped tremendously, the P-rail which took some persuading to get on the dovetail, and put a bipod on it too. But, if you have newer 64, it should be drilled/tapped for a rail/rings. Mine's an older one and has the dovetail.
To tighten your trigger up some, squeeze together the frame the trigger sits in at the back. When I took mine apart, it was gapped and the trigger has side-to-side movement, went away after a pair of pliers was GENTLY used. I might get frothy and buy the spring kit one day...

mazda3gun
01-31-2014, 10:16 AM
It's not heavily upgradeable, but IMO, the 64 can keep up with a 10/22 for a fraction of the cost overall and aftermarket. And I love Ruger SR's, Revolvers, and #1's so I'm not just biased.

mattri
01-31-2014, 10:19 AM
Thanks for the replies. The fact that these rifles aren't real common is a lot of the fun of this idea. I like the fact that it will be a little different but at the same time may just end up with an MKII for simplicity- we'll see.

mazda3gun
01-31-2014, 10:22 AM
Take a look at my Picture Post thread, 'first time refinish/upgrade'. I just posted a pic of my 64 and 110

mazda3gun
01-31-2014, 10:23 AM
Just suck that these gun have been made for something like 40+ years and there's so little to upgrade with.