PDA

View Full Version : When did Savage start selling fluted barrels?

jerry shaw
01-29-2014, 02:48 PM
I recently purchased a used Savage long action rifle with a blued receiver and fluted stainless barrel for my daughter. The SN is F436xxx so Savage no longer provides build information on the rifle. My best information is that it was built between 1989 and 1995.

My assumption is that it came out of the factory with a blued barrel. Since it's been too cold to do much of anything, I haven't shot it yet. I picked it up cheap enough that it's no big issue if I need to replace this barrel.

Does anyone know when Savage first started selling fluted stainless barrels? Or whether they ever shipped blued receivers with stainless barrels?

Thanks.

stomp442
01-29-2014, 03:23 PM
Sounds like an aftermarket barrel swap to me. You might want to double check the head space on that rig before you do anything.

n4ue
01-29-2014, 03:40 PM
Hi Jerry. I have a rifle I purchased new, before I retired in 2001. It is a pre-accutrigger 223. Single shot, with a blued receiver and heavy fluted SS barrel. Ser # F908xxx.
Last year, I purchased a very similar M12 in 22-250. The new one has a magazine, but the receiver is SS, it has the accutrigger.
Hope this helps.
ron

jerry shaw
01-29-2014, 03:58 PM
Thanks. I checked the headspace first thing. It was good.
It's interesting that the barrel is marked as a 112 - chambered in .223. I assume it's a 9 twist, but I haven't measured it yet.
Wasn't sure when they first started fluting stainless barrels since I assumed it was after the rifle was built.
It came with a laminated stock in good condition. The lug and barrel nut look original. Its factory trigger breaks pretty cleanly. I have to assume it was originally chambered in .223 since the mag has the rear spacer you often find in older 112s in that chambering. Bolt sn matches receiver sn.
It just seems unusual. You never know what you'll find in the used rifle section at Cabela's.
I think my daughter will like it. She likes to shoot from a bench.
And it will keep her off my LRPVs.

claysshotgunner
01-29-2014, 05:41 PM
You might take a try at removing the barrel nut. If it seems Mongo tight, it is original !! lol

redlabel
01-29-2014, 06:03 PM
I bought a new BVSS-S long action in 220 Swift in 98 or 99 that had a blued receiver and a stainless fluted barrel from the factory

Jamie
01-29-2014, 09:03 PM
This is what I understand, may not be 100% accurate but should be close........

During the bankruptsy era, Savage basically built a rifle from what ever parts they had to assemble one. Lots of blued actions and SS fluted barrels left the factory. This is also the same time when they went to only the long action for all calibers. Making one action saves money over making multiples.

What you have while not extremely common anymore, is definitely not uncommon. I would also lean toward a 12 twist, although not knowing exactly when they did 1:9 I cannot give definite. If the roll marks on the barrel line up correctly and the headspace is good then that would tell me it is a factory rifle.

If anyone can add clarity, or knows more please share. Always looking to learn.

J.Baker
01-29-2014, 09:05 PM
It's 100% factory. Savage didn't come out with SS actions until 1991. Prior to that there were several variants of a Model 112 that came with a blued action and a SS barrel. My 1993 catalog also shows a Model 112FVSS with a blued action and non-fluter SS barrel. First SS fluted barrel appears in 1994 on a couple 116 Weather Warrior models. 1994 also has two blued action, SS barrel models - the 112BVSS and the 112FVSS. In 1995 both of those models began coming with factory fluted SS barrels thru 1997 as in 1998 Savage started building true short-actions so most varmint models like those two became Model 12BVSS and 12FVSS.

jerry shaw
01-29-2014, 11:29 PM
Thanks everyone.
I was really just curious since my experience with some of the older models is limited.
I feel a lot more well informed now.
This rifle looks good and might have the potential to shoot well.
Will find out when this weather breaks.

Txhillbilly
01-30-2014, 01:18 AM
My 12 FLVSS 223 has a blued action,and a 26" stainless fluted barrel. That's just how they came from the factory.

Eric A
02-17-2014, 09:25 AM
My 12 FLVSS 223 has a blued action,and a 26" stainless fluted barrel. That's just how they came from the factory.

I bought a FLV 112 in 97...that was before Savage had the short actions available in the FV and BV series....Actions were in blued and not stainless in the early varmint models...Barrels were in fluted SS... That rifle I still have today,it's in 22/250 and is a tack driver.. mounted with a 4.5 x14 Leupold vari X3 for glass..
Also...I have another 22/250 in an early BV 112 single shot . Same configuration long action - blued ...with a SS fluted barrel.... So I'm sure Savage has made SS fluted barrels for quite some time now

jonbearman
02-17-2014, 05:23 PM
I had a long action,blued in the choate varmint stock with the 26 inch stainless fluted barrel and now I sold the stock and turned it into a 22-250AI in a b&c stock with the flat bottom.It is a tack driver.It used the long front baffle and it worked perfect for the 22-250 length cartridge and changed the mag box with an sss trigger.