PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: Help! 22 hornet in savage mod 40

Pages : 1 [2]

henry1
01-30-2014, 08:35 AM
after you made yours a K Hornet it didnt have any more issues huh? i think that might be the next venture for me.... I tried an ez out last night, a little nerve racking, i need a bigger one lol so will be snagging one tonight and hopefully getting it out.

where your dies already for the k hornet or did you grind on them? You might have told me but i couldnt remember if you chambered your hornet yourself or if you had a smith do it... wonder how much it costs? 100 bucks?

rjtfroggy
01-30-2014, 10:19 AM
Henry before you buy another ez out try the 1/4 inch sheet metal screw(self tapping) tighten in with long screw driver snug then tap out with cleaning rod, works the sameway but cheaper. Also I've been told a little 0000 steel wool on a cleaning jag with a slow speed drill and slightly polish the chamber helps but I haven't tried it yet so I can not personaly confirm. When I finally locate some 45gr. bullets I will try it.

bootsmcguire
01-30-2014, 08:02 PM
after you made yours a K Hornet it didnt have any more issues huh? i think that might be the next venture for me.... I tried an ez out last night, a little nerve racking, i need a bigger one lol so will be snagging one tonight and hopefully getting it out.

where your dies already for the k hornet or did you grind on them? You might have told me but i couldnt remember if you chambered your hornet yourself or if you had a smith do it... wonder how much it costs? 100 bucks?

No I had issues. Mine came to me as a K-Hornet. The previous owner bought it new with the intent of having it rechambered. What stopped the problem was going from FL sizing to Neck Sizing with my modified Collet dies.

Mine was previously owned by a gent from up in Anchorage, Alaska. He had taken to Wild West Guns up there and had them do the improved chamber. No idea on cost.

plinkin
01-31-2014, 12:28 AM
Correction. It wasn't Irwin, its made by Hanson.

Irwin & Hanson are both owned by American Tool as is Vice Grip and they make tools for Snap On as well as Mac, Matco, Cornwell, SK etc.

plinkin
01-31-2014, 01:16 AM
I am not sure the .223 broken tool will work in the Savage 40. Because it is build on a rim fire receiver the ejector post is right in the way. I tried using a Hornady Lock n Load tool in it for checking bullet seating. It's a no go. I like my 40 it is a very accurate rifle and I hope my new M25 is as accurate. I haven't personally has case separation but I have had PPC cases get stuck in the chamber. I determined that the ones that did were longer than the ones that did not.

henry1
01-31-2014, 08:38 AM
plinkin, boots and froggy, thanks for the input guys! I ended up having to work late last night and by the time i was off true value had closed! lol so hopefully today i will be able to stop by. fighting a cold as well. but TGIF! haha thanks again guys!
ill keep you updated!
Henry.

bootsmcguire
01-31-2014, 10:38 AM
Irwin & Hanson are both owned by American Tool as is Vice Grip and they make tools for Snap On as well as Mac, Matco, Cornwell, SK etc.

I knew Irwin made Vice-Grip but didn't know about the others. Thanks, good to know.

plinkin
01-31-2014, 02:13 PM
I used to have a mobile tool route between 1999-2004.

henry1
01-31-2014, 08:58 PM
so so far i have bought a master mechanic no 3 and no 5 (which i have no problem owning, these things always come in handy) but True Value is currently out of no 4! Which it turns out is most likely the one i need! Ha! To town tomorrow again to see if ace has one....

bootsmcguire
01-31-2014, 09:51 PM
so so far i have bought a master mechanic no 3 and no 5 (which i have no problem owning, these things always come in handy) but True Value is currently out of no 4! Which it turns out is most likely the one i need! Ha! To town tomorrow again to see if ace has one....

Always the way ain't it. I had to get some 1/2 NPT galvanize pipe nipples and a 90* end to install my new shower/tub spigot this week. Experience has taught me that at about $1.50 each its cheaper to buy several lengths of varying lengths rather than pay the gas to go back when you "thought" you had the right one. Nothing you can do when they are out of that one size you need, no matter what it is. Good luck.

henry1
02-01-2014, 06:31 PM
thats the truth! I messed around with it for a while today, used the smaller one, cut it down so that it wouldnt protrude into the bore, then couldnt find a socket that would fit it! GRRR! its in between a 5 and a 6 mm.... and in between a 1/4 and a 7/32 any sugestions? i dont have any 12pt sockets avail right now otherwise i would try that! haha, havn't tried to go to town yet either!

henry1
02-01-2014, 09:32 PM
update! I got the sticky son of a gun out! ended up over at a buddies house tacked a socket on the ez out with his wire feed and it came right out! So happy! Now to find someone to ackley it for me! Thanks again guys! I appreciate all of your input and help! glad i got it!
Henry.

plinkin
02-02-2014, 12:32 AM
update! I got the sticky son of a gun out! ended up over at a buddies house tacked a socket on the ez out with his wire feed and it came right out! So happy! Now to find someone to ackley it for me! Thanks again guys! I appreciate all of your input and help! glad i got it!
Henry.

Is going to a 22AH what you really want or were you just frustrated with the Hornet case being stuck?

henry1
02-02-2014, 12:27 PM
um no, i have always wanted to ackley it, it helps especially with the little hornet case. I wont ever push the hornet hard just because its so fragile of a case, some brass i have now is on its 2-3 firing and its coming apart. I might be able to double my case life when its ackleyd. its also my cheapest rifle to shoot, even cheaper than buying 22 ammo well almost. I can roughly, get at least 800 rounds out of a lb of powder. However i haven't loaded that many yet in my lifetime! haha.

short round
02-06-2014, 04:35 AM
Congrats on getting the brass out. One thing to do to prevent case seperation is to make a

Congrats on fixing your problem. One thing to do on hornet brass, is to make an L shaped pick, use it to feel around on the inside of the case, near the bottom, if you feel a groove that brass is about to separate.

henry1
02-06-2014, 09:59 AM
ok i know exactly what you are talking about, grandpa used to have one for our 7mm Mags. So what do you do with the bad hornet brass? not shoot it?